• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

W Baker Photographer 110 Moseley Rd

BordesleyExile

master brummie
Can anyone advise me what dates W Baker was operating his photography business at 110 Moseley Rd, please? He was mentioned at this address in Kellys 1883, but by 1902 had moved to 150 Moseley Rd. He is not mentioned in Kellys 1867. The census does not help as Mr Baker ran his business from a different address to his residential location.
The relative who is the subject of this photo was born in 1842, but due to the softening of the photographic process it is difficult to determine her age in this picture. As she is wearing a bustle & fitted bodice I had wondered if the picture was taken in the 1880s, but dating by fashion is not my strength and clothes might be kept for many years anyway.
https://www.cartes.fsnet.co.uk/date/main.htm

Well I would not actually swear to it, but I think a bustle was earlier than this. I have photos taken, I believe, in the early 1880's and no bustle (also by Mr Baker). I think the bustle was around 1860, but as you say the clothes could have been kept for years. I am going to be very interested in any replies, as this is an interesting subject.

Shortie

Thanks, Shortie. This relative had 5 children & would not have been well off, judging by the addresses she lived at, so perhaps she had had the dress a while. This makes it all the more important to date the picture by the photographer's address. In the meantime I'll be searching for a good website on historical fashion. There must be one, though I have never found it.

This is written by an American woman, and I do believe that English fashion was not quite the same, time-wise. I have a photograph of my gt grandmother taken in about 1890 and no trace of what this lady describes. I personally would urge caution, as I do know that fashions were not the same here as over there, just like today (for the average person, not the super-rich, of course). There are photograph dating services, I shall have to see if I can find one, it would be more accurate, I feel.

Shortie

William Baker is not listed in kellys in 1880, but is at 110 Mosely Road in 1883. He stayed in the same building till 1899. but it is a abinet makers in 1900. HOWEVER, Thje numbering system of Mosely road changed between 1893 & 1895, and the same building was lsited as no 213 from 1895.Worth remembering if you are trying to place building also. Whether he would have immediately ditched his old cards and paperwork, i don't know.
Mike

Thank you very much indeed, Mike & Bren. The location dates are a real help as it at least gives the earliest years possible. The style of the jacket, with its close cut long sleeves & high neck looks more 1880s and I think my gg grandmother looks as though she might be in her early 40s. Taking all this into account I think the photo is likely to be 1883-1886. Julia lived in Warwick 1879-1891, so I'll never know why she had her photo taken in Birmingham.

The photo may be slightly later,as she lived with her son and family in Gooch Street in 1901 census
William Fleetwood aged 27 Head born Dudley, Staffordshire,Coachman (not domestic)
Elizabeth Fleetwood aged 26 Wife born West Bromwich, Staffordshire
Arnoldb Fleetwood aged 2 Son born West Bromwich, Staffordshire
Ivy B Fleetwood aged 8M Daur born Birmingham,
Julia Fleetwood aged 57 Mother born Compton Abdale, Gloucestershire
Frances Fleetwood aged 19 Sister born Warwickshire,Draper & Hosier Assistant (called Sarah in the 1891 census)
Ebenezer Hemming aged 20 Boarder born Alvercott, Oxfordshire,Draper & Hosier Assistant
Thomas Charge aged 17 Boarder born Walsall, Staffordshire,Draper & Hosier Assistant
living at 178 To 180 Gooch Street, Birmingham
Gooch Street is not that far from the Moseley Rd

Thanks LadyLinda. I would not have said Julia was 59 in the photo, even with the softening photographic techniques. W Baker's cards would have been about 6 or 7 years out of date so personally I would still date the photo as early to mid 1880s. You did well to track her down though on the meagre information I gave out! Yes, that is Julia on the 1901.

Mike, do you have Walter Baker in around 1901 please? I have been looking through oold photos today and have been able to date some thanks to your information about Moseley Road and the changing numbers, however, I have just come across one Walter Baker, 159 Moseley Road. In the bottom left hand corner is a kind of ribbon with Highgate Studios on it. Is this possibly the original W Baker's son, or has he changed his ideas as well as his studios?

Shortie

I think I have answered this for someone else at some time, as i have notes on it. Am not sure where the other post was (It might have been on another forum). anyway the relevent bit says;
. In 1899 Walter Baker is listed as photographer at 213 and 159 moseley road. So it looks like Walter took over (his fathers?) business. Before , possibly he was working for william and doing a bit on the side for himself under his own name. In 1900 –1905 he is only at 159 moseley road. In 1908-1956 it is Baker Louisa & Walter,220 High street, Deritend, but firm has gone by 1962
mike

I too have a photo from this photographer which i am trying to date. I inherited an album which has lots of photos in but no names attached all i have to go on is the inscription at the front which states was given to mother on her 55th birthday from 2 of her daughters, in 1896

I see it's been a good 6 years since anyone wrote on this thread. I just came across a photo taken by W Baker, 110 Moseley Road, and nearly fell off my chair because the Victorian woman looks exactly like me. There is a handwritten number on the back of it. I would love to find out who this woman was.. does anyone know if there are records somewhere from W Baker's business?

I found the picture when I was looking through postcards on eBay, and I bought it immediately. The fellow who sold it to me said he's seen many pictures of the same lady, all through her life, and has sold them. He says when you deal with CDVs & Cabinet Cards for long enough you begin to recognise faces.

I've read as much history on W Baker as possible on the internet, but now I'm wondering if Birmingham History has any other details about him/his business.

I'd like to upload the picture here, and the back of it, but I don't know how to do that.

Appreciate any and all replies and information.

Many thanks,

Carol

Last edited:
I've a photo of my Great Grandmother taken by William Baker - Highgate Studios @ no. 110 Moseley Road. Would be late 19thC. She too is wearing a short tight fitted jacket and a bustle.

Last edited:
I have found a photo from W Baker of 10 Mosley Street. The lady looks to be dressed in the same fashion as above. Interestingly I found them in a small box I purchased from a charity shop along with some other pics. Among them is a 1945 picture of a soldier called Kenneth who was in France and also has Sankey written on it which I’m not sure is a nick name or surname.

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the Forum. Most likely his surname as I was at school with a chap with the surname Sankey-Smith, who sadly died a few years ago. No doubt someone somewhere is looking for photographs of the family and all too many are unfortunately detroyed.

The 1911 Census lists 95 people in the Birmingham area with the surname, though Kenneth was not among them, but he was most probably not born until later if this was a WW2 photograph.

Maurice

Last edited:
Thank you Maurice.
I have a real bundle with the pictures including an envelope filled with leaves from the battle fields of South Africa. They obviously meant something to somebody and I can’t bring myself to throw any of it away. It seems disrespectful.
I’ve traced a guy quite close to Birmingham on Facebook with the same name so fingers crossed he’s named after his Grandad or another relative and he connects with them. If not I’ll keep trying as the other bits are really interesting.
Thanks again
Mark

Mark,

There appear to be only two Kenneth Sankey births in the West Midlands that fit the time frame:-

Kenneth SANKEY (mother's maiden name JONES) Born 1 Qtr 1923, Coventry Reg Dist, Vol 6d Page 1191
Kenneth C. SANKEY (mmn CARTWRIGHT) Born 3 Qtr 1926, Stourbridge Reg Dist, Vol 6c Page 83

Now back to the thread before my knuckles are rapped! :cool:

Maurice

Back