• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

W Baker Photographer 110 Moseley Rd

WestHeathen

I've a photo of my Great Grandmother taken by William Baker - Highgate Studios @ no. 110 Moseley Road. Would be late 19thC. She too is wearing a short tight fitted jacket and a bustle.

Last edited:

MarkEdon

I have found a photo from W Baker of 10 Mosley Street. The lady looks to be dressed in the same fashion as above. Interestingly I found them in a small box I purchased from a charity shop along with some other pics. Among them is a 1945 picture of a soldier called Kenneth who was in France and also has Sankey written on it which I’m not sure is a nick name or surname.

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Hi Mark,

Welcome to the Forum. Most likely his surname as I was at school with a chap with the surname Sankey-Smith, who sadly died a few years ago. No doubt someone somewhere is looking for photographs of the family and all too many are unfortunately detroyed.

The 1911 Census lists 95 people in the Birmingham area with the surname, though Kenneth was not among them, but he was most probably not born until later if this was a WW2 photograph.

Maurice

Last edited:

MarkEdon

Thank you Maurice.
I have a real bundle with the pictures including an envelope filled with leaves from the battle fields of South Africa. They obviously meant something to somebody and I can’t bring myself to throw any of it away. It seems disrespectful.
I’ve traced a guy quite close to Birmingham on Facebook with the same name so fingers crossed he’s named after his Grandad or another relative and he connects with them. If not I’ll keep trying as the other bits are really interesting.
Thanks again
Mark

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Mark,

There appear to be only two Kenneth Sankey births in the West Midlands that fit the time frame:-

Kenneth SANKEY (mother's maiden name JONES) Born 1 Qtr 1923, Coventry Reg Dist, Vol 6d Page 1191
Kenneth C. SANKEY (mmn CARTWRIGHT) Born 3 Qtr 1926, Stourbridge Reg Dist, Vol 6c Page 83

Now back to the thread before my knuckles are rapped! :cool:

Maurice