• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

W.A.Perry & Co, jewellers 4 Snow Hill

PJay

knowlegable brummie
I'm trying to find out information on a Jewellers W.A Perry & Co 4 Snow Hill. I know they were still in Snow Hill on the early 1900's but other than nothing. I don't think there is any connection with Perry pen makers, but I could be wrong, it has been know once I think in 1974 :laughing:

Amazing picture - You are a super star BrummieGeof!! We bought an old travel clock at an antique fair which is stamped on the face as W.A. Perry & Co Snowhill.

Attachments

• IMG_20210813_135759.jpg
    IMG_20210813_135759.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20210813_135748.jpg
    IMG_20210813_135748.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
1953 Kelly's shows Number 4 Snow Hill - Perry W.A & Co (Snow Hill) Ltd. Jewellers. Telephone Central 0696

This is the earliest Kelly's I have. The next one I hold is 1963 by which time Snow Hill had been redeveloped. (I think)

PJay - I searched for W.A. Perry, Jewellers and came up with a lot of sites showing Perry jewellery for sale. Further down the page on a site which is app.duedil.com you will see it refers to Perry Greaves (Corporation Street) Limited (Closed). This only shows a few details i.e. name, company number etc, but also Company Names (at the bottom of the page.)

Bought my wifes engagement ring there in1959, it cost two weeks wages, I know how to show a girl. class , it was diamond bits in a floral rosette shape, had to have one of them replaced, cost more than the ring. Yes she still wears it, although a few years a ago, I bought one with diamonds you could see. I had to insurethat one seperately.
W hy did I buy it there, the boss was a friend of my Dad's and I got mates rates and the 5a stopped outside.
Bob

PJay - I searched for W.A. Perry, Jewellers and came up with a lot of sites showing Perry jewellery for sale. Further down the page on a site which is app.duedil.com you will see it refers to Perry Greaves (Corporation Street) Limited (Closed). This only shows a few details i.e. name, company number etc, but also Company Names (at the bottom of the page.)
Thank you Suemalings that's very kind of you :)

The Wimpy Bar!
My mother used to enjoy their burgers but we used the one in New Street. First of that kind of eating place in the UK I believe?

The reverse of a receipt from Perry Greaves 1968 listing former companies and directors.

Attachments

• IMG_2041.JPG
    IMG_2041.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Perry’s was “Under the Clock” on Snow Hill in the 1880s. Very useful given its proximity to Snow Hill Station. Think the Corporation Street Branch had a clock too. Useful when waiting for the bus near the shop. That clock may even still be there. Viv.

7DE2BC49-65AE-485A-B437-11FB25EAFB9C.jpeg

E08C3CCF-DF95-4A66-9E59-6656BBAEE89F.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archive

Back