• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Vulcan Bomber Fly-past

About 20 years ago (maybe more) I had a customer on the industrial estate just on the edge of Bruntingthorpe Airfield, and he told me that there was a Vulcan being restored to flying condition, and that when they ran the engines up the whole area shook! I'm sure he said it was a Vulcan, but after this length of time can't be 100% certain.

G

I was only wondering a few days ago how long they would be able to keep this Vulcan flying for, I expected this announcement to come at some stage but not quite so soon, pity...

Simon

I wonder if this could become the fate of the memorial flight Lancaster one day, although there is another in Canada. Very sad. Eric

I wonder if this could become the fate of the memorial flight Lancaster one day, although there is another in Canada. Very sad. Eric

It sadly probably will Eric. The Lancaster is however considerably cheaper to keep airworthy than a Vulcan so at least that is in its favour.

Simon

Think the BBMF is safe, Here`s XH558 on it`s first flight after the refit, Bruntingthorpe 18th October 2007.

Attachments

• 18th October 2007 Thursday  XH558 008.jpg
    18th October 2007 Thursday XH558 008.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 18th October 2007 Thursday  XH558 044.jpg
    18th October 2007 Thursday XH558 044.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 18th October 2007 Thursday  XH558 045.jpg
    18th October 2007 Thursday XH558 045.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 18th October 2007 Thursday  XH558 064.jpg
    18th October 2007 Thursday XH558 064.jpg
    358.4 KB · Views: 7
Cropped the first one

Attachments

• 18th October 2007 Thursday  XH558 008_renamed_27826.jpg
    18th October 2007 Thursday XH558 008_renamed_27826.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 14
Dave M, I like the way that Vulcan pic has a bird showing, makes it rather special I thought . I mentioned the Lanc because I 'crewed' that very a/c as a wireless op 1949 to 1951 when it was part of 82 (PR) Sqdn, it never saw active service, it was built for the Far East but war was over when it was finished so it ended up on our squadron (the last Lanc sqdn) as a survey a/c in Africa mapping the British colonies Eric

For the aviation enthusiasts on the BHF. During a weekend show at Prestwick Airport on 5th September, the Vulcan XH558 had a problem with it's nose wheel not fully extending when it was due to land. After circling the airfield for some time with a Spitfire in close attendance it eventually landed safely. Other air shows were cancelled and the Vulcan was flown back to it's base at Doncaster with its wheels locked down. The video below was taken by someone in the crowd and also has sound of the radio communications. The pilot sounded very calm. The pic below shows the nose wheel not fully extended.
images

The Video ... 10 mins long. The Spitfire appears at about 2 mins in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxshOMFTZdM

The Vulcan, along with the Red Arrows and other military and civil aircraft put on good fly pasts (displays being prohibited) during the Dartmouth Royal Regatta at the of end of August.

I have a photo some where of a Vulcan flying a slow as possible alongside Lancaster flying pretty normal land an Avro biplane think it was a 524 from memory going flat out......... The three were abreast. Pic was taken o ver A.V.Roe at Manchester or some where close by.I f I can find It then I will have a go at putting it on her e oldbrummy

Was on holiday abroad at the time, but returned to my neighbour's picture in local freebie paper.

Apparently he'd contacted them after something big and black came over the house at low level. Tactfully suggested to him he should have waited until I was back and lent him a spotting book. His wife found it very funny and threatened him with divorce if he ever did it again!!

Visited the Midland Air Museum many years ago & actually sat in their Vulcan. Lot smaller than I imagined but wow, did it have character. I believe it's still there.

In the mid - 60s my battery were on Salisbury Plain, firing a high angle shoot, when they were ordered to pause. Shortly afterwards a Vulcan flew over, very low, followed closely by a Meteor. We were told later that they were testing a radar system.

Back