• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

VJ Day celebration

W

Wendy

Here's a photo of VJ Day celebration's 1945 in Rough Road Kingstanding. Special invited guests were convalesing servicemen.

Moma p

Another great photo comes to light thanks to the great folk on BHW:)

A day to remember Moma P - which I very much appreciated seeing - Thank you

VJ Celebration

Great photo MomaP, what struck is how very young the soldiers were, they don't look much older than schoolboys.

Great photos MomaP and Chris. I wish we still had the ones of our street party. Very similar pics with the women fussing over the children which I remember. We had a couple of blown up photos for years at home and when I sorted through our photos a few years ago they were missing. I noticed on the Handsworth photos the ever present, in those days, plate of bread and butter although it more than likely was margarine that was spread on the bread! I tasted my first ice cream at our VJ street party and remember we had a huge bonfire where Hidson Road and Anslow Road joined, with an effigy of Adolf Hitler on the top of it.

Rough Road Kingstanding

Here's another couple of photo's of Rough Road Kingstanding. The VJ celebrations of 1945.

I remember on V E Day - Victory in Europe May 7- 8th 1945 – when the bunting came out on our street with all the mothers helping to organize a treat. . And again August 15th 1945 Victory in the Pacific Allied nations across the globe rejoices on Victory marking the end of World War II.

However it wasn’t just about celebrating victory - it was much more than that - we were honouring the countless millions around the world who sacrificed their lives and those who had fought showing extreme bravery in defining the world in which we live in now.

Looking back we see as the world changes and we are sadly lose the last of the generation who lived through the war, it becomes more important to remember the sacrifices made. .

It is ignorant to think that the events of 62 years ago should not be marked and have not left a lasting mark on the present.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jean what wonderful photo's I love the lads in the woodwork shop!

Names of persons on photo's.

:D On the far left is My uncle Fred. The next is Sgt Pete King. I don't know of the connection. Uncle Norman with Aunt Phill. My mom with Uncle Fred.:D Bye Jean.

War photo's.

:D The first photo is my Uncle Fred. The other is my Uncle Arther who joined the St John after the was. He gave most of his spare time up training others in first aid. Bye. Jean. :D

My best memory of VJ DAY, was marching down Glenpark Rd Ward End too Nansen Rd School for a big party & seeing my newborn brother (born 6th May 1945)shaking his little leg to the HOKEY COKEY every time some one said "put your right leg in" "your left leg out"
I my self only 6 years old at that time.We lived at 5 MOSS VALE GROVE just of the bottom of Glenpark Rd.
If my memory is right we had a big bongfire at the top pof Glenpark Rd?
ASTON

Old Photographs

Thank goodness for the old photographs and thank goodness we had some folk to take them.
Lovely a joy to look at........Cat

Back