• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Visitors to our gardens

The Baron

master brummie
While working in my garden in this summer (what summer you my ask) this bird just came up behind me, walked around for about 10 min then jumps over the fence and away.
ANY ONE ELSE HAD STRANGE VISITS TO THE GARDEN?
THE BARON (ASTON)

Plenty of Peacocks Aston but about 8 years ago a Jackdaw which use to fly on your shoulder and feed from you Hand. We found out that it use to come back every year to our neighbours.

We have it on Video

Also plenty of strangers in the Summer who can't read the sign 'Public Footpath' and try to get through our Garden:)

I think I'll try Cream Teas next year ;)

Hi Baron yes about ten years ago and he nicked most of our koi carp. I don't mean the heron this one was equipt with a large net that he left behind. We now have the gulleys gated off. Cost a packet but well worth it. We have had an escaped white parakeet whick landed on the fence then flew off and our regular heron on the garage. The pools are netted now so he doesent have a cat in hells chance. Jean.

One night at my summer home in Luxembourg the automatic outside light kept going on and off so I got out of bed to take a look and there was a fox sitting on my porch. I'd switched on the outside porch spotlights and opened the door. The fox just looked at me as if to say "how long are you going to stand there"! I had to shoo him away to get rid of him. This year I had some snakes drop in to say hallo.

hello,any one got any slow worms in there garden,i have when i first saw them i thought they were snakes
pete

At our caravan we have a bank stretching up to the barn. Last night we had two owls calling one another for ages. Before we had the dog I would go out and watch them but the dog isn't as keen on them as I am. We have little bats in the summer and my favourites are the slow worms that bask in the sun. WONDER WHY WE HAVENT HAD MANY THIS YEAR. This one was from last year. Jean.

jean could have done but thats another story.i have to watch when i mow
the grass,they have gone to bed now for the winter,so the national parks say.untill next march.they have eye lids and blink at you,have you looked at them close up?
pete

Yes Pete they are lovely creatures and last year we had half a dozen babie like pieces of silver silk. I almost mowed one last year too. Another annoying visiter last year was a mole but I hadn't the heart to trap or kill him but he appears to have disappeared this year. We have frogs toads and newts in our back garden at home but unfortunately some of the baby frogs get trodden on or mowed no matter how careful you are. A newt was wandering up the path a couple of weeks ago and if I hadn't put the light on he would have been rather flatter now. Slow worms used to be called blind worms years ago but that is not true. I will see if I can find the photo of the baby from last year. Jean.

jean it is so wierd i was going to tell you about the mole that kept poping up and the dog was sniffing it.i moved the hill and next day it was back.
pete

i think i may cause a bit of an outcry here but has anyone have any idea how i can keep cats out of my garden WITHOUT harming them we have got new nhbour's and they have recently got two small cats and they are more in our garden than there own as we have a well stocked garden which my wife loves but she does not love cats and never has she would not harm them any ideas ?
Brian

We listened to a programme the other day and the thing suggested was lion poo from the safari the lion being the larger cat scares our small moggies. I suggest sending an IM to Neffretiti as she is the practice manager at a vets and owns cats. She would I am sure have a solution for you. Bye. Jean.

I too have a cat problem. I have tried everything and the best thing to keep them off is lion and tiger poo. I think it is basically liquidised and then made into lightweight pellets. It is sterile and it really works. The only problem is it is £8.99 for a small amount. As soon as there is a shower you have to re-apply it. It works out rather expensive. I tried all the powders and dusts to no avail. A liquid called RENADENE used to be excellent and was on sale since the the late eighteen hundreds. It was recently taken off the shelf because of Health and Safety. A friend who used to sell it said it will come back, slightly altered so it may not be as effective. Because I grow veggies in the rear garden I have to be careful what I use. I have solved the problem by using Moth Balls in the front and on my dahlia bed. Where the veggies are I lay chicken wire on the ground. I am plagued by the woman next door who has 4 smelly cats and the above two things are the best way in my experience.

Stitcher why is it cat's prefer to do their toilet in someone elses garden?. Maybe your neighbour trained them well.:D:D:D No sorry I love cats but they can be a nuisance. Steve has an old cat called pudding but the neighbours by him have an average of 3. He grows vegis and it can be a real problem. I suggest you come and borrow our little dog he loves them.:notlooking::notlooking:

i have a jackrussell and a golden retriver in my garden,need i say more
i do not why jean but every thing you posted today on this post i seem to no before hand the slowworm the mole the lion poo now the dog,it must be esp through the computor
pete

Hello Jean, as I understand it it is all about territory and setting out boundaries, The famliy next door can barely look after themselves so lord knows why they want four cats. I used to have dozens of wild birds visiting the garden, blue tits used the nest boxes every year and we could watch them fetching food for the young for days on end, then they would all be gone for another year. We would see them feeding from the bird table but they had left the nest box. I still have a couple of robins and whenever I am working in the garden they are always near to me. They will almost take a small worm out of my hand but I have to put it on the ground for them to take it. They will come closer than a foot away.

Same hear Trevor but a black bird was so tame that when a cat came in the garden he was an easy target. I fealt a bit guilty for making him so tame. At the van there is a robin that takes mealworm from you hand. Our little one with three legs never came back this year so fear the worst. They are so cheaky down there that they fly in one door and out of the other. Jean.

My dad was always was proud of his garden, what little bit he had in Copeley st...he grew flowers and veggies but declared war on the cats...they would sit on top of the fence and always seemed to jump down on the tomatos breaking them down etc, one day he came up with an idea...he was an electrician so he wired the top of the fence and every time a cat was perched on the fence he would throw the switch,the cat would leap up and was gone ,it did'nt take long for all the cats to realise they did'nt go by the Barrs garden......Brenda

We had a robin that used to come into the verandha and look in through the back door. The horrible wretch next door used to put bread out for the birds knowing her cats would get them so we had a row about that.

Back