• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Virgin Router Problem

jukebox

Engineer Brummie
Hi all. My son is having a nightmare with Virgin internet with drop-outs every few minutes. Unfortunately where he lives there is no alternative at the moment. I have tried setting the Hub to modem mode but the only router I have available isn't good enough. Has anyone got experience of a good (not too expensive as I can guess who'll be paying!) router that would give good wifi coverage over the whole house (small 3-bed detached)?

Hi all. My son is having a nightmare with Virgin internet with drop-outs every few minutes. Unfortunately where he lives there is no alternative at the moment. I have tried setting the Hub to modem mode but the only router I have available isn't good enough. Has anyone got experience of a good (not too expensive as I can guess who'll be paying!) router that would give good wi-fi coverage over the whole house (small 3-bed detached)?
The dreaded wi-fi problem (not confined to Virginmedia).
I am on Virginmedia. Over the years I have had many problems with wi-fi about the house. I did the following (with help from Virginmedia who I found to be very helpful).
1. Get the latest router from Virgin.
2. Locate the router to a more open central part of the house if possible. Don't put the router in a cupboard or in a corner surrounded by plant pots etc.
3. Download an app called 'Speedtest'. Check your wi-fi speed. It will probably be lower than what you are expecting.
4. Virgin can supply you with repeaters to fit in rooms around the house.
5. If possible run an ethernet cable from your router to any computers upstairs.
6. Check to see how many other devices are connected to your wi-fi. You may have two or more mobile phones, smart television, an Alexa device, door bells, speakers, radios or possibly a device from your neighbours.
7. Is your signal being reduced by the operation of a microwave oven or similar. They share the same frequency as your wi-fi.
8. Turn all electrical devices of except one mobile phone and run a speedtest then one by one turn each device back on and see if you can identify a rogue piece of equipment.
Best of luck, it won't be an easy fix but it will be frustrating.
Hope this helps

You may have already tried it but I would connect a computer to the hub using an ethernet cable completely eliminating any questions about wifi. If you get drop outs with this mode of operation then it is Virgin's fault and they need to check their line and/or replace the hub.

If you don't get drop outs with the above method then presumably the hub wifi signal is not reaching the room where the computer is or the hub is faulty. The hub wifi can be tested by moving the computer right next to it. If you still get drop outs then the hub wifi is faulty or the wireless adaptor in the computer could be faulty.

Some years ago I solved a wifi drop out problem by changing the wifi channel but it depends how close any neighbours are. Also in my son's converted stone wall barn I successfully used TP Link through the mains to provide wifi in a room where it was needed.

I am surprised that Virgin are the only provider in the location, I thought BT and Sky were everywhere ... :)

Back