• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Vinyl Comeback

Way back in the late 1950s I bought components from the Radio shops in Hurst Street to build a stereo amplifier. The only shop I could find selling stereo records was Murdochs in the Old Square and the only record they had was an opera Madame Butterfly. It was not my usual choice of music but it was stereo. I still have about 30 LP records stashed away at the back of a cupboard and pulled 7 of them out as shown below and that first stereo record is top left. I have not played any of them in at least the last 20 years.
View attachment 127365
and me i spent all my pocket money of a sat buying electric junk,to make things. i built a tv out of bits,it got a pic and the sound was radio mosco. radio gram bits were cheap,new garrard decks. lol i am geeking again sorry

Attachments

• junk.jpg
    junk.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
I am in the process of selling my vinyl collection...I'm sorry but I have no use for primitive media, including CD's. I'm an old fart like many of you on this forum, however, I've always moved forward, including my choice of music and the way it's listened to. I realize the shortcomings of digital compressed formats, but it's convenience first...
Dave
i am proud to be a old Fart. and to be able to play my ink spot records lol

i am proud to be a old Fart. and to be able to play my ink spot records lol
I used to have a load of 78`s (what were they made of? ) Mario Lanza, David Whitfield,Frankie Laine etc. They all disappeared in a house move, + 3bottles of whisky.:mad: 78`s were scary the way they clattered down onto the turntable!

I have about 60 vinyl LP's which I occasionally play and a few Humphrey Littleton baker lite (?) 78's Jazz records (somewhat scratchy). I bought my first LP Mr Rhythm Frankie Laine In 1953 In Hong Kong with my Wife whilst in the RAF and I still play it. Bought a new turn table a few years ago. Eric

I used to have a load of 78`s (what were they made of? ) Mario Lanza, David Whitfield,Frankie Laine etc. They all disappeared in a house move, + 3bottles of whisky.:mad: 78`s were scary the way they clattered down onto the turntable!
hard wax. shame about the booze. . them records listed was my mom favorites. she loved david whitfield. she dragged me to bham hipperdrome to see him.

Last edited:
Back