• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tyseley Locomotive Works

Moor Street Station was renovated several years ago when management of it was taken over by Chiltern Railways who reopened some of the platforms for their Birmingham to London Marylebone Services. In one of Ellbrown's photos you can see the contrast between the steam loco and the modern Class 68 Chiltern loco.

Platforms 1 to 4 were restored to Edwardian / 1930s style by Chiltern Railways in the 2000s. Platform 3 and 4 reopened in 2010. Platform 5 has been left unrestored (that was where a show locomotive was until it went back to Tyseley).

No 2885 seen at platform 5 in 2010.

At Tyseley in 2016.

Assume that Vintage Trains are restoring it. Didn't see it at the open day 2 months ago.

While my train stopped to drop off Blues fans at Bordesley yesterday, saw the Polar Express go by. Bit awkward to get photos of it, but got this of D1755 47 773 at the back.

Later saw it again from my bus heading down Digbeth. It was heading over the Bordesley Viaduct (slowly). Rood Ashton Hall was on the left going backwards! Was unable to get any photos from the bus, was also sat in the aisle seat of a single decker!

Platforms 1 to 4 were restored to Edwardian / 1930s style by Chiltern Railways in the 2000s. Platform 3 and 4 reopened in 2010. Platform 5 has been left unrestored (that was where a show locomotive was until it went back to Tyseley).

Actually the current platforms 1 & 2 were new platforms from 1987 when Snow Hill reopened for the Warwickshire lines. Previously there had not been platforms on the Snow Hill Lines. I never used Moor Street in the old days so I am assuming that the present platforms 3 & 4 were originally 1 & 2.

This is a signalling diagram from 1922.
Moor Street Station.jpg
From Wikipedia described as in Public Domain

I know but they call the platforms next to the Snow Hill tunnel platforms 1 and 2 (since 1987 to present?). I remember the late 1980s look in the 1990s (when the part now restored was blocked off and left to be derelict). Used to be a ramp that went up from when you got off from the Shirley or Dorridge lines up to Moor Street Queensway.

Views from the Bordesley Viaduct in Digbeth, while the Polar Express was stationary.

From Oxford Street / Bordesley Street.

Other side of Oxford Street.

From Milk Street.

How about this for an incongruous picture. I wonder how many people spotted it on Panorama on BBC 1 last night in a programme entitled ‘HS2 Going of the Rails’. (Available on iPlayer).

They were filming at Curzon Street Birmingham when a Virgin Pendolino went past on its way to Birmingham New Street Station and, at the same time, a steam train went past on its way to Birmingham Moor Street Station. The steam loco was Rood Ashton Hall masquerading as Polar Star for children’s entertainment in the run up to Christmas.
1545127081649.png

Moor Street buildings are not Edwardian, whilst the original terminus was completed in the reign of Edward VII, the goods shed and main station buildings were later and completed when George V was King.

The Goods Sheds were finished during 1914, whilst the station concourse was later.

Beautiful.
Found out this about Sir Keith Park...……….
Air Chief Marshal Sir Keith Rodney Park, GCB, KBE, MC & Bar, DFC was a New Zealand soldier, First World War flying ace and Second World War Royal Air Force commander. Wikipedia

Born: 15 June 1892, Thames, New Zealand
Died: 6 February 1975, Auckland, New Zealand
Education: RAF Staff College, Andover, Royal College of Defence Studies, King's College, Auckland, Otago Boys' High School
Battles and wars: Gallipoli Campaign, Battle of Britain, Battle of the Somme, Siege of Malta, Asiatic-Pacific Theater
Service/branches: New Zealand Army (1911–1915), British Army (1915–1918), Royal Air Force (1918–1946)
Awards: Distinguished Flying Cross, Order of the Bath, Croix de Guerre, Legion of Merit

wow what a sight ell

lyn

May have previously seen diesel trains on the back of a lorry in the past. This was the first time I saw a steam locomotive on the back of one! I think I read that it is not allowed to travel on the national rail network, only on heritage railways.

Frothie,

Vincent Orange's biography of Sir Keith Park - ISBN 978-1902304618 - is a good read for anyone interested in the wartime RAF. He was Sir Hugh Dowding's second in command, and I read it some years ago. But I've just checked and it is still available in an updated version from Amazon for around 12 quid.

Maurice

A lot cheaper to transport by road anyway, however there are many more formalities. Steam locos can be hauled on the mainline but it is more usual by road. During the early and late summer many steam locos are on the move on our roads. Heritage lines often hire in these locomotives for their main season of operation and return them or send them elsewhere towards the end of their season.

Vintage Trains last year became licensed as a Train Operating Company in their own right. Previously they had been operating under West Coast Railways's licence.
I see that West Coast Railways will also now be operating their own steam trains under the name Merchant of Avon this summer from Burton and Tamworth to Stratford via Tyesley including some into Snow Hill.
So this will see more steam in the Birmingham area with two operators.

Back