• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Vine Inn Harborne

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
A recent discussion on another thread has covered information and photos of the Vine Inn at #310 High Street, near the remains of the Royalty Cinema. The pub deserves a thread if it’s own. It originally dates back to the 1830s.

Firstly an early description of the premises. (Source: British Newspaper Archives)
A3FC4F2A-2FD0-4910-B81F-BE08C19DF858.jpeg

The Vine in the 1950s
D0EA50A6-C815-431F-9DA4-54A65D66E4E7.jpeg

The Vine in 1965
CA9C38DA-0760-4398-A094-2539D8855151.jpeg

This image shows the Vine after it was rebuilt in the 1980s.
2E583D60-2172-4254-8FD2-B73CE762E9E8.jpeg

Viv.

Last edited:
yes viv looks like a nice house behind the pub...wonder if its still there

lyn

Lyn, hi all "Dave, Mikjee, Viv" thanks for all your efforts. I was sure that 300 High St was a lot further down the road. but thanks to the old street maps it helped me find where my Grandfather shop was and where my father was born in 1914.
If you look at the Vine pub (310 High St) its not that much different from the original.
Opposite side of the road you can see where the Bank was the layout of shops not changed very much

I'm sure mikejee got it correct that 300 High St was to right part of "Royality".

All I need is a photo of 298-300 High St. With my (grandfather standing outside), I'm sure it's out there just need to speak to the person that doesn't know I'm looking for it.

Thanks all
Nick S Phillips ‍♂️.

Yes agree Nick, your ancestors shop is where Mike suggested.

I set up this thread to examine the Vine Inn itself rather than clutter up the other thread. As you know, this stretch of the High Street is a little difficult to read, and by exploring the Vine itself might reveal more about this section of High Street.

In looking at the Vine, I simply think it’s different and may have a longer frontage judging by the number on windows on the first storey. To achieve this I think the newer 1980s Vine might have swallowed up the low level walled area and the shop on the end (re. image #2 in my first post). I wonder if the shop on the end was connected to the Vine in some way.

An interesting stretch of the High Street going back to the early days on the (then) outskirts of the Village. Viv.

Yes agree Nick, your ancestors shop is where Mike suggested.

I set up this thread to examine the Vine Inn itself rather than clutter up the other thread. As you know, this stretch of the High Street is a little difficult to read, and by exploring the Vine itself might reveal more about this section of High Street.

In looking at the Vine, I simply think it’s different and may have a longer frontage judging by the number on windows on the first storey. To achieve this I think the newer 1980s Vine might have swallowed up the low level walled area and the shop on the end (re. image #2 in my first post). I wonder if the shop on the end was connected to the Vine in some way.

An interesting stretch of the High Street going back to the early days on the (then) outskirts of the Village. Viv.
Viv, was looking at the Vine Pub today, with an old photo in my hand. Didn't have a tape measure in my hand. But if you look at present building the present footprint doesn't look a lot different.
The windows on first floor are similar.
But I could be wrong.

Nick S Phillips ‍♂️ .

Thanks Nick. They must have squeezed in an extra window then in the 1980s rebuild. Maybe the windows are narrower or the spaces between them are narrower. Viv.

Last edited:
Very interesting thread. If we weren't in Tier 3 etc I would have suggested a visit to Harborne Library. They have over a 1000 photos of Harborne including about 100 on the High Street. The picture of the Vine in 1965 appears in the book called "Old Haborne" by Roy Clarke [aka Superdad3] which is a collection of photographs and may be the book mentioned in the other thread but there are others.

Slight note of possible confusion, the High Street was renumbered around 1910ish - can't remember exact date.

Paul, you said "sad The Vine gone!" is the present Vine nothing like the original? I've never been inside the pub.

Looking at an old map door numbers do seem all over the place.

I think it's worth a revisit at later time.

Nick S Phillips ‍♂️ .

hi Nick, Happy Christmas to you and yours, I meant the old inn, It was a quirky, but as I remember welcoming pub. I have lived in Cambridge for 50 years now, so wont get a chance to visit now. Regards Paul

hi Nick, Happy Christmas to you and yours, I meant the old inn, It was a quirky, but as I remember welcoming pub. I have lived in Cambridge for 50 years now, so wont get a chance to visit now. Regards Paul
Hi Paul, due to all problems of not getting together I've moved Christmas to April/May, not many people know this. The idea of not seeing family over Christmas does hurt.
Paul, my father was born at 300 High Street (1914). I'm a Hockley kid, so I don't think I've ever been to a pub in Harborne so where "Old Inn" is I have no idea. When the world gets back to normal it may be worth a walk around, if I do I will have a pint for you:).

Thanks

Nick S Phillips ‍♂️.

In the 1866 advert in post #1 it lists a ‘capital garden’. Looking at the c1950 map Mikejee posted on the “300 High St Harborne” thread I see why it’s described as capital, it was substantial, complete with a bowling green and pavilion. And it had survived the building of the Royalty Cinema in the 1930s. Viv.

765745BF-FABB-40A8-B249-EFD1EAF50E4B.jpeg

Back