• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Villa Tavern Nechells

B

Bill Pearson

This Corner pub still going strong, I was wondering how many did we once have along Nechells Park Road past and present? also Holborn Hill had a pub once called the White horse that also was a corner pub. Bill...:shh:

Attachments

• Nechells Villa Tavern Holburn Hill.jpg
    Nechells Villa Tavern Holburn Hill.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 13
Hi - I noticed the White Horse was mentioned in a couple of posts. Could anyone tell me where this was. I have been trying to track a White Horse Pub down for a while.

Also does anyone have any photos of the Belgrave Hotel which used to be on Belgrave Road, Balsall Heath?

Best wishes Jan

Hi Jan, The White Horse was on the corner of Holborn Hill and Long Acre road, across from there was a grocery shop and opposite to that was colson brothers printers. As a boy remember my father was always in the White Horse pub.. Bill.

Thanks Bill for that info. My dad's favourites were the Royal Oak in Stoney Lane, Sparkbrook and a pub (May have been called the George) it was on the corner of Ladypool Road and Alfred Road. It was opposite Westwoods Greengrocers.

Many a saturday afternoon was spent in the "grounds" there with a bag of crisps and a lemonade. Every now and then a member of the family (lots of aunts and uncles too) would come out on the way to the loo, pat us on the head, slide us sixpence and then leave us on our own again.

We had a Woolaston live next door to us at Malmesbury Rd Small Heath. He was a widower who remarried late in life. I am sorry I cannot remember his first name - I only ever knew him as "Woollie". We lived at 249. Best wishes Jan

Hi Jan,
thanks for that yes the same with me as a lad was out side awaiting for him to come home, them was the days . You mentioned Woolastons and they was also lived in Nechells, Addison road they happen to be relatives of mine, dare say the one you knew would not have been.. Regards Bill..

Jardene

Your dad had a good choice when it came to pubs, I drank in both the Royal Oak and the George. I'm sure he also would have drank in the Gate in Studley St.

I can't come up with a photo of the Royal Oak, but here is one of the George. I believe its a curry house now, like most of the old pubs in the area.

Phil

Attachments

• Sparbrook Ladypool Rd The George.jpg
    Sparbrook Ladypool Rd The George.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 9
Hi Phil

Many thanks for the photo. If it is ok with you I will print it and put it in my family life book. I am hoping one day my grandchildren will become interested in the lives we used to live. My gran used to work at that pub as a cleaner. She lived in Oldfield Road which was opposite the pub.

I remember the Gate - if I remember correctly it had a slightly more upmarket grounds and better seating accommodation for the kids outside!

Many thanks again Phil. Best wishes Jan

My family: Turner, Crumpton, Dixon, Shepherd

Hi Jardene1
Picture of Villa Tavern in Nechells,

Attachments

• villa tavern.JPG
    villa tavern.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 14
hi jardene 1
yes i would also like to find a picture of that pub
it was a very thriving pub in those days ,quite a large place
used by many different characters beleive it or not
also by alot of thearter people small time and occasional well known
actors mainly the shakespearan actors as well
and for one my cousin whom was in the shakespear thearter
named roy stewart, whomwhen not acting during shows
and back in this part of the country birmingham
would stay with is mom in theasey estates great barr
so it would be very nice if any one could get hold of one
have a nice day best wishes astonian ;;;

Bill is this the tavern where the ghost night is going to be?. Jean.

Hi Jean , yes that's the one, Jean the people who are saying when are you doing it ? we are unable yet because staff are on holidays till next month, then a thought came to me why not Halloween night .. Bill...

You would fill the place Bill. We are usually at Ricki's that night but Pete said we will pop in next time we are at Wing Yips. Bye. Jean.

Last edited:
You would fill the place Bill. We are usually at Ricki's that night but Pete said we will pop in next time we are at Win Yips. Bye. Jean.
Hi Jean if you do please make that between 12. and 1 as thats the time that Keith my lad is at the pub, me Im in Nuneaton as thats where we live, other than that if I knew you was going would have a ride in to see you all... Bill,:love:

Bill i have just been talking to our Peter he lives not far from the Tavern,he told me your connection with the pub;)

Mossy

hi bill
in answer to your question if you start at the bottom of nechells park rd the pubs of the fifties/sixties were
nechells park hotel-nicknamed-newfound
villa tavern-the villa
the new inns-
soldiers return-
white hart-
the beehive
on mount st you had the prince of wales
trever st the albion-nicknamed the empty
catles grove the woodman
on long acre you had the white horse
the mitre
the prince of wales
thimble mill lane you had the red lion
hpoe this jogs your memory
ash

Bill i have just been talking to our Peter he lives not far from the Tavern,he told me your connection with the pub;)

Mossy
Hi Mossy,
What it is that Keith my lad, think you know Keith is part interest in that pub, he has turned it around as being what it was years ago. Tanky and the gang as we used to know are the local men that go in and enjoy the beer. He has no interest only that his grandad used that pub years ago. Colin Knowles still goes in so do most of the lads you knew.. Bill...

Hi Jardene1
Picture of Villa Tavern in Nechells,
The Ghosts have suddenly appeared again, all was quiet till last week when 3 people in the pub noticed a dark shape in the corner on a stool, they asked each other could they see some thing one of the lads walked over to the stool and it went through the door into the back room? they looked into a dark room and felt cold atmosphere so left well alone, me seeing is believing... regards Bill...

Hi Mossy,
What it is that Keith my lad, think you know Keith is part interest in that pub, he has turned it around as being what it was years ago. Tanky and the gang as we used to know are the local men that go in and enjoy the beer. He has no interest only that his grandad used that pub years ago. Colin Knowles still goes in so do most of the lads you knew.. Bill...
Just flicking through posts and come across this one. Tanky was my grandads nickname. :)

Back