• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Villa - Something To Be Proud Of

Old Boy

master brummie
Hi All,

I am a Blues supporter but last night on TV I learned something about Aston Villa that warmed my heart. They are, in fact, the last team to field a team consisting of all English players in the Premiership. I missed the exact date but it was a match against Coventry City about 1999. It surely will never happen again as good English players seem to be a rarity..

Can anyone come up with the exact date and perhaps the result.

Old Boy

Janice thank you but, Oh Dear, perhaps the result is the reason that Villa, like most teams now include foreign players. On the other side of the coin last season a premiership team, I think Chelsea, fielded a team with no English players I do not think I will bet on England to win the Euros this year.

However, I think that Villa, despite their desperate plight this season can hold their heads up high and say "We are the last team to field an all English side in the premiership". I doubt if it will ever happen again.

Old Boy

Last edited:
When Villa won the European cup 1982, the team consisted of mostly English players + four Scottish players. All with names you could pronounce without getting your tongue in a lather!

Hi Smudger,

Those were the good old days before the premiership was formed attracting Sky TV with all its wealth making foreign players feel that England was the place to make all the money

Old Boy

Hi Smudger,

Those were the good old days before the premiership was formed attracting Sky TV with all its wealth making foreign players feel that England was the place to make all the money

Old Boy

Old Boy......Best be careful, we may be seen as racist & given a red card.

When Villa won the European cup 1982, the team consisted of mostly English players + four Scottish players. All with names you could pronounce without getting your tongue in a lather!

Born not far from St. Andrews, I have always, through thick and thin, been a Blues supporter.

However, when Villa won the European Cup in 1982, I was undertaking drum clinics/lectures around Germany and Austria. I had two Germans with me, a driver and a translator. Villa were playing Bayern Munich, and we were in Vienna on the night of the final. The Germany guys were loving it, so sure that their team would win. I knew that if Villa lost my life would become unbearable.

As Del Boy would have said "They only went and bloody did it". Wonderful. For the rest of that trip I had a big grin, and two very quiet Germans. For that, I shall forever be grateful to Villa.

Enjoyable as it is, TV has destroyed the spirit of the game. I attended my first football match at St. Andrews, in 1945. The ground was crowded, around 50/60,000, and apart from a few drunks, no problems, and you supported your local team.

Today youngsters will support Man Utd or Chelsea, and have no idea where Manchester or London is. TV has a strangle hold on finance, dates and times of games. Vast amounts of money are poured into football, from TV, sponsors, and the suffering supporters.

As someone has said "Who wants to watch 22 millionaires kicking a ball around a field?". Not far from the truth these days.

Eddie.

Eddie,

As you say, it`s tv & mostly Sky to blame for astronomical wages in the footie game. You can`t blame the players when someone offers them huge amounts of money, but it is obscene. I just wish some of them would do some good with all that dosh they get, like Alan Shearer, he gave away all his testimonial money (about one million i believe ) to charity. A nice gesture from a nice guy. I played footie for the shear love of it in the army, sometimes in Germany on frozen pitches. All we got paid was a piece of orange at half time!!

A guy named Dean Smith is the new Villa manager. His wife told him to take the job as he needs to get away from football.:worried:

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but being has I was on my way to a Villa Park, thought I would take these photos of the new road that is inbetween the Church and The Tavern.
Can anyone tell me what the significance of the road name.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 23
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 24
Born not far from St. Andrews, I have always, through thick and thin, been a Blues supporter.

However, when Villa won the European Cup in 1982, I was undertaking drum clinics/lectures around Germany and Austria. I had two Germans with me, a driver and a translator. Villa were playing Bayern Munich, and we were in Vienna on the night of the final. The Germany guys were loving it, so sure that their team would win. I knew that if Villa lost my life would become unbearable.

As Del Boy would have said "They only went and bloody did it". Wonderful. For the rest of that trip I had a big grin, and two very quiet Germans. For that, I shall forever be grateful to Villa.

Enjoyable as it is, TV has destroyed the spirit of the game. I attended my first football match at St. Andrews, in 1945. The ground was crowded, around 50/60,000, and apart from a few drunks, no problems, and you supported your local team.

Today youngsters will support Man Utd or Chelsea, and have no idea where Manchester or London is. TV has a strangle hold on finance, dates and times of games. Vast amounts of money are poured into football, from TV, sponsors, and the suffering supporters.

As someone has said "Who wants to watch 22 millionaires kicking a ball around a field?". Not far from the truth these days.

Eddie.
Bless you Eddie Miss you mate

Hi Smudger,

Old Boy
First of all...how do I get to read my message from the organisers of this site?
Right! I saw the Villa win the cup on my mate's TV in 1957. Johnny Dixon looked great when he was presented with the trophy. My mate and played football afterwards in an open space that was known as, "the big entry". I let my mate, John Dobson, be Dixon. John was slightly younger than me so I thought it was kind to do so. I was Nigel Sims, Villa's goalie.

What message is that? If it is in your Inbox, then click on it and youe should be able to read it.
Could I take the opportunity to stress that this thread is under sports HISTORY, but seems to be getting to be just a long fan gossip column.

What message is that? If it is in your Inbox, then click on it and youe should be able to read it.
Could I take the opportunity to stress that this thread is under sports HISTORY, but seems to be getting to be just a long fan gossip column.
I think "chatroom" is the modern term!

I read that Villa and Blues fans were planning to turn their backs to the game and remain silent for 1 minute on the 21st minute of the game in respect of the 21people murdered in the Birmingham pub bombings. Did this happen?

Just found this thread.We are members of the Kent Lions Villa Supp Club we have 90 members who regularly in fact come to all Villa games Home & Away.On Saturday at our AGM we were delighted to have Brian Little visit us and give a great talk about his time at Villa park and the different Managers he played under.My daughter is Co Chairman and visitsthe Villa every home match and is active with the whole Villa structure including players and management.

Back