• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Villa Road Milk Bar

cracking photo kieron a friends sister used to work there...what number was it at...think the building is still standing...just

lyn

Last edited:
What number was it at ... think the building is still standing ... just
Lyn, I am not sure. This is where I need to look at a late directory in the library! I suspect it was part of a row of shops between Hamstead Road and Hunter's Road which would mean it has gone. However, I am not certain.

think thats about right kieron thanks ..map here showing no 86 the milk bar and also a 2009 st view of the large building where your arrow is where the milk bar was...now demolished

lyn

Attachments

• MILK BAR MAP.jpg
    MILK BAR MAP.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 8
yes milk bar no 86 tabaconist no 84...ive got another one of the milk bar somewhere had it for years..will try and find it

lyn

At the time of this postcard the tobacconist was Alfred Cole at No.84, Mrs. Clara Wagstaff was a fruiterer at No.86 - this is manifest in the postcard. No.88 was the draper Mrs. Mary H. Bates and then ..... the Gouldbourne Arms!

Viv, your postcard shows the Gouldbourne Arms which is of interest to Lyn who is searching for a pic of this pub.

kierion i cant see the gouldbourne arms...the light coloured building set back a tad is the bulls head pub..the gouldbourne was further up near to the corner with little hunters lane or hunters road as it now called..although having said that it is kind of showing but its a very long shot of it...

lyn

kierion i cant see the gouldbourne arms...the light coloured building set back a tad is the bulls head pub..the gouldbourne was further up near to the corner with little hunters lane or hunters road as it now called..
lyn
Lyn, the Gouldbourne Arms is listed at No.90, the Bull's Head was No.104.

In Viv's postcard view, the garage/outbuilding next to the tobacconist's shop was later redeveloped and was a Wimbush for some years. Tobacco was still sold next door ... but by Preedy's who were movers-and-shakers in the Dudley area.

Villa-Road---Preedy's.jpg

Their empire was further afield than their first Dudley shop.

yes it does rob thanks...i have that photo myself...the other one i am still looking for is a front on shot of the milk bar

lyn

Their empire was further afield than their first Dudley shop.
Back in the 60s next to the bulls head was a fish and chip shop.we we the sign between the windows on the wall of the first floor was a newsagents .my brother was a paper boy for them 15 shillings a week seven days 2 rounds a day. Thay kept papers and comics on the left. And sweets on the right toys were kept up a step at the back.my mum would bye us cakes from that cake shop, Wimbu she next the was a butcher who sold good meat he swoped his jag for a yellow and black austin seven car and parked it in hall rd outside loyde bank as it was then.

think thats about right kieron thanks ..map here showing no 86 the milk bar and also a 2009 st view of the large building where your arrow is where the milk bar was...now demolished

lyn
Lyn, you are absolutely correct an easy walk from my house, been there MANY times!

I used to work next Door to the Pole Star Milk Bar, when I worked there it was Bob Harrisson's the Butcher, but the front door step carried the name of Preedy"s Tobaconist, inccidently the Pole Star in my time was run by a Mr Michael and his family.

Back