• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Villa Road Handsworth

This is Phyllis Nicklin's image of Villa Road taken in 1968 looking towards the Villa Tavern. Must have been taken on a Sunday judging by the closed shops and the rubbish on the street (doubtless left by the post-Saturday night crowd from the Villa Cross cinema and pub).

Some of the shops have those deeply recessed doors between two display windows. 'Beverleys' shopfront (hairdresser?) on the left seems to have a modernised shopfront. I like the paper carrier bags in Alfred Roe's window (butcher ?) - not brown paper carrier bags but printed white carrier bags with a printed scene !

Some very familiar high street traders: Foster Bros, Harris dry cleaners and of course the essential laundrette/washeteria.

Viv

Screenshot_20230416_131824_Chrome.jpg

This is Phyllis Nicklin's image of Villa Road taken in 1968 looking towards the Villa Tavern. Must have been taken on a Sunday judging by the closed shops and the rubbish on the street (doubtless left by the post-Saturday night crowd from the Villa Cross cinema and pub).

Some of the shops have those deeply recessed doors between two display windows. 'Beverleys' shopfront (hairdresser?) on the left seems to have a modernised shopfront. I like the paper carrier bags in Alfred Roe's window (butcher ?) - not brown paper carrier bags but printed white carrier bags with a printed scene !

Some very familiar high street traders: Foster Bros, Harris dry cleaners and of course the essential laundrette/washeteria.

Viv

View attachment 180040
always liked that shot viv i was still living in villa st then so this is a scene i know well

lyn

Viv

View attachment 180040
Lots of memories there for me! I believe Lloyd’s Bank on the right by the parked car and Barker St just behind the car!
Thank you!

Lots of memories there for me! I believe Lloyd’s Bank on the right by the parked car and Barker St just behind the car!
Thank you!
Hi Richard can you remember a little greengrocers embedded in the wall under the Villa cross pub I'm sure my mom used to call it Aunty's Vi,s

Hi Richard can you remember a little greengrocers embedded in the wall under the Villa cross pub I'm sure my mom used to call it Aunty's Vi,s
Hello Brian, yes, I believe it was just down Heathfield Rd from the bus stop. Never really went there because my Aunt Florrie was a greengrocer on Litchfield Rd.

Could i just say for the point of accuracy the in the distance was called The Villa Cross Public House. In fact it is not on Villa Rd as that ends when it reaches Barker Street and then becomes Lozells Rd. The Pubs address in 1968 was 243 Lozells Rd. Max

Apologies, I missed 'Cross' out of the second line of my post #93.Through time it's been known by the names of The Villa Cross, The Villa Cross Inn, the Villa Cross Hotel and Villa Cross Tavern. Viv.

Last edited:
I was surprised to find that we don't seem to have a thread dedicated to the Villa Cross Inn/Tavern/Hotel. It is also thought it was originally a house/villa and a school.

There are numerous posts scattered around the forum about the pub, so I have created a thread exclusively about the place. (Note, the original posts mentioning the Villa Cross pub are still in their original threads, the new thread was created using copies of posts). Link to the new thread is here

Harry. That's a great shot of the entrance to the Villa Cross pub on the Lozells Road side (your post #105, fourth photo - the photo with the tram). Is it OK if I copy that to the Villa Cross Inn Tavern etc thread ? Or if you prefer maybe you'd like to post it on that thread yourself I think it's an interesting view of the pub's past.

And I wondered if that lampost has any connection with the forming of Aston Villa footballers (under a lampost) discussed on the Villa Cross thread last year ? See post #24 onwards below. Viv.

Last edited:
Back