• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Villa Park 1957

G

glaciermint

As a Blues fan it is with some reluctance that I post this but I thought it would please the Villa fans and get them thinking ahead to a few weeks time !
As a matter of interest who can name all 4 on the pitch (and a million bonus points if you can name any of the crowd !!)

Jimmy Dugdale,Leslie Smith,Johnny Dixon and mascot Andrew Pugh from Carpenters Rd,Lozells.
As for a member of the crowd,i was there.
Moss.

jimmy dugdale was licencee of the old oscott in the seventies, amongst others
johnny dixon, hardware shop in sutton.
leslie smith, electrical store in witton rd.
stan lynn news agents in birchfield rd.
dick taylor, sports shop in witton rd.
andrew pugh,?.

I was at Villa Park & out side the council house that day NEVER BEEN SO PROUD TO SAY I WAS A VILLA FAN. Hope we can do it again with MARTINS BOYS

My Father took me to my first football match at villa park in 1957, it was a 1-1 draw with Blackpool and the occasion was a certain S.Matthews birthday i also recall.

Managed to obtain a match day program just few years ago, certainly brought back memories.

Baron,
I was also outside the council house,and ran with the bus to the bottom of Gt.Charles St....heady day's.
Was also due for demob from the army ...that was a bonus.

Look at the fag in his hand .we won two world wars and The FA Cup with fags, now we are criminals if we smoke.

Bought back memories of standing behind my "hero" Nigel Sims late fifties /early sixties!
My late dad always told me Villa had the cup "pinched" more times than Blues had won it bit i guess you have haerd that one before.*s*
Well......its Aussie Rules football for me these days..........Up the Villa!

My Dad used to have a saying that went 'The team that beats the villa usually wins the cup'.

My Father took me to my first football match at villa park in 1957, it was a 1-1 draw with Blackpool and the occasion was a certain S.Matthews birthday i also recall.

Managed to obtain a match day program just few years ago, certainly brought back memories.

I was at that match. My uncle took me, but I was more in awe of Peter McParland I seem to remember.

Terry

Did Gerry Hitchens play in that game or had he gone to Italy by then?

Hi Neville,
Gerry Hitchens didn't sign for Villa until after the 1957 cup final,his first season being 57/58.He signed for Inter Milan and played his first game for them 61/62 season.
Moss.

1957 - outside the council house, waiting for the claret and blues to return victorious. I stood there with my mom, dad and 2 brothers we had a hand held noisiy ratchet type thingy which you kept turning to make a noise, which my two brothers kept teasing me with and made me cry. I also used to queue with my dad for special ticket games outside Villa Park, but you couldnt queue until a certain time and everyone used to hide up entries or wherever they could find to hide and then suddenly at the said time everyone started running towards the ticket box. Peter McParland a hatrick, Johnny Dixon the captain. Heady days.

hi yes
old johny dix; and his brother used to do the deliverys around the venues and shops for my old grand parents
the jelfs when i say the venues ; meaning all he big posh do; for the council; or the old gpo ,s
and the high society wedding taking waitress,s and all the silver ware and all provisins from the large ware house at tyburn rd and aston cross ;in there younger days out of season and some times when they was not in traing at the villa ; to all there coffee shops around the area even in the city centre ;
have a nice day every body best wishes Astonian ;;

There you go Carolynn.One of them noisy ratchet type thingys.This one has history,it was bought in 1945 at the central fire station when they sold everything off.
My eldest son painted it in the Everton colours,(his team).And it has been to the Holte End thus painted,while my other son supported the Villa.

Looks as if Glaciermint left the forum some while back so no details now exist. It is not possible to establish the last time he was active.

Hi Juddystar. Although I never formally left the forum I have not been on the site for a few years so all my details have been expunged!
I am sorry to say that Andrew died in 2011. If you have anything which you feel may be of interest to his widow or daughter I would be pleased to pass it on. Please PM me if I can help.
Regards, Bob

Back