• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Villa Memories Tom 'Pongo' Waring

W

Wakadowakado

Legendary centre forward (12101906-20121980) Who knows something of
the player who worked at the Hurcules Motor and Cycle Company in Aston?
226 appearances for the club yielded 167 goals 'A very likeable lad' as Billy Walker said 'he was hard to handle and turned up for training when it suited'.
In 1935 he angered the home fans who called for his return from the Barnsley
transfer. He finally guested for New Brighton 1939-40 Link up soon WAK

Hi Wak:

You're right, Tom "Pongo" Waring was very high profile with Aston Villa fans.
My Dad used to talk about him a lot years ago. Glad to see his name and find out more about his background. He certainly knew how to get attention it seems.

Last edited:
I worked with someone who had been a fellow Villa player of Pongo Waring. The fellow (wish I could recall his name) was working in the stores in Joseph Lucas Service Depot on Gt Hampton Street - different to how players of today are likely to end up. He did not seem all that enamoured with the off field antics of Pongo W or of his attitude to fellow players.

Thanks everyone for the story of Pongo Waring. I have been thinking perhaps they could do with him now, but after yesterdays result perhaps they are on the up again. Hope so.

My dad knew him well and used to drink with him a lot in the Holte, I think I met him once when I went to have a drink with my dad.

Well you won't have trouble finding the history of todays so called top players, after a few seasons at the top they write their auto biographies, money makes money. Eric

Hi. My name is Dean Beresford and am the grandson of Villa great Joe Beresford who was team-mate/good-mate of Pongo. I've created a facebook page in tribute to Joe and if you follow this link it will take you directly to a couple of photos of Pongo Waring from my grandad's collection:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...18017511.59803.186878374698152&type=1&theater

If you navigate around the photo galleries you'll find plenty of pics of Joe's days at The Villa. I've captioned each photo with as much info as I could gather.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you wish.

Cheers
Up The Villa
Dean

Pongo was my dad Tommy Jones mate they were always sitting together in their special seats at the Holte pub
Sorry jusr repeated myself I have just seen the post I had put on earlier, old age he he

Last edited:
My dad was working in Holyhead around late 1940's or early 50's when he came across Pongo living as a vagrant. A few pints and a couple of quid later they parted, never to meet again. A sad tale.

That is a really sad tale Trog. My granddad still talks for hours about the old Villa legends and Pongo Waring is a frequent feature.

Great thread though, it's nice to hear that the legend lives on here on BH!

Last edited:
Pongo's ashes were scattered behind the goal at the Holte End in the days when the Villa allowed this to be done, apparantly thats been stopped now as it suppossidly un-nerves the players. Great servant for the club we also often talk of him. Does any-one know if he had any family or if he has any living relatives?

Guys, my husband Paul is Pongos grandson. He lived his final years in Birkenhead with Paul's nan, Phyllis. I never met him unfortunately as my hubby was 8 when tommy passed away. Our son, Tom is named after his great grandad. My husband has nothing but fond memories of kicking the ball around the garden as a child with his grandad. Phyllis spread the ashes at villa. Aston villa paid every year for Phyllis to attend the ground which she did up until she died.

Hi everyone. I am his granddaughter. He has lots of family still alive, sadly my nan passed on a few years ago. I never met my grandad but have heard so many storeys about him. My nan visited villa untill the early 90s but couldn manage it after that.

He never married my husbands grandmother. But she took his name. Her name was Phyllis waring and they lived on the Wirral. Our son Tom was born on the 12 October the same date as tommy died.

i believe new brighton was tom,s final hurrah.according to my informatiod he played for graysons fc (sandwiched between ellesmere port town and birkenhead dockers).who and where were graysons fc? does anybody know?

Back