• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Villa memories No6 William McGregor by Wak

W

Wakadowakado

Mr Wm Mc Gregor a draper in Summer Lane (originally from Scotland) settled down in Birmingham and became one of the first officials of the Club He was instrumental in forming the World's first Football league as matches
were arranged in September 1888- Villa lost only one match in the League and took a point off the champions Preston who were unbeaten completing the first 'double'
The Birmingham F.A erected a wall side drinking foumtain in Mc Gregor's honour at Six-ways Aston in October 1913

Waka
Did you know you don't have to start a new thread each time you have a question about the Villa, it will be seen on the first page you asked about the Villa.

That way you have everything all together:)

Thanks Alf, I will get the streamlining going I hope the detailing is interesting WAK

Re: Villa memories No7 by WAK - George B Ramsay

Geo.B.Ramsay, the ignition to the club in the first few years after foundation in 1874 was
undoubtedly the 'pillar' in turn he spent time as captain, secretary and Vice
President leading the team to its first trophy the Birmingham Senior Cup in 1880. Dribbling with the ball in races this Scotsman acted as secretary to the
Villa for 42 years

Villa memories No8 By WAK Wellington Road The village of Perry Barr in 1876 housed a toll gate, one side was Wellington Road and the other bore Aston Lane. Villa played at Wellington Road for 21 years until the opening of the present ground. Takings on the first day amounted to 5/3d (26 and a 1/4p) That could go towards a signing this year!
Best wishes Wak

Back