• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Villa memories No 11 -Lower Aston grounds 1896 by WAK

W

Wakadowakado

Moving on to 30th January 1896 Messrs Joshua Magoschis Charles Johnstone,
Frederick Rinder and James Lees became the provisional directors of the new
limited company. A 21 year lease was taken out on 7 acres with the power to purchase the freehold 2,000 shares raised a capital of £10,000 at £5 each At this period of time the club said goodbye to the historic meadow at Perry Barr
Success in super style was just around the corner! WAK

Waka all your posts are interesting and good for a Villa supporter like myself, so why don't you put them all on one page and it would be easier to look back at them

Hi Alf, Glad to hear the facts of the glorious past must never be forgotten and enjoyed as William Mc Gregor was our virtual 'father of the Club' Please click on Wakadowakado statistics
if you need anything from the posts I am in the early learning stages of P.C's Best wishes WAK

Well WAK I think its a poor show that such beautiful parkland -see pic- was destroyed all for the sake of a rubbishy football team! At least my team only built on waste gound (though I admit that throwing the gipsies off might not have been such a good idea if the curse is to be believed).

Bob

Hi Glaciermint, Thanks for the observation and point of view My opinion is that
the hard working classes of the City were pushing for the National game professionally at the time. I have to agree that according to Hammond's Guides 1882 the loss of the boating lake (on the north side of Witton Road) a sports meadow, theatre, concert hall, aquarium, flower gardens, aviary, bowling green, tennis courts, rhododendron shrubbery and dining rooms must have been disappointing to many folk The business men started to turn situations to their own advantage as usual As it turned out the Clubs' late Victorian successes probably quietened many local Astonians! WAK

Back