• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Villa Cross Cinema

reposting...
villa_Cross.jpg
In posts #37,38, and 39, Photobucket have put their water mark across the pics. I've stripped their watermark off the pics and put copies below. These could be moved to the original posts if others are seeing the watermarks on the original pics.
VillaCrossCinema1.jpg
VillaCrossCinemaFoyer.jpg
VillaCrossCinemaInside.jpg
they have now been copied to original posts

Last edited:
Yes I went a few times in the 50's, cannot remember what films though ! Eric

had a wonderful interior eric.. sadly the likes we will never seen again last film i saw there was true grit...there is no room now for great architects whos names will be remembered.. same with interior designers and made to last materials...anyone can design nowadays and throw up a building in a matter of weeks only to be demolished 50 years later and this comes from my american son in law who although a modern day architect he can appreciate old architecture and can not believe the magnificent historical buildings this city has raised to the ground..moan over :D

lyn

Last edited:
Sorry I still can't get the hang of how to post these things, just been reading about and looking at some fabulous photos of the Villa cross picture house, me my brother and sister used to go there every Saturday morning
6d in and 6d to spend!!

same here brian...every saturday morning...did you live local...i was in villa st...happy days

lyn

Yep Radnor Road same building as one of your other forum members Richard Dye, I've also spent more than a few hours standing outside the Villa Cross pub playing with any other kids whilst mom and dad had a cheeky bitter inside!!

brian one of my teachers from lozells girls lived in radnor road...once again happy days

lyn

What lovely pics from Astoness. Happy memories for me. Every Christmas Eve I seem to remember we went to this glorious emporium to see Mr McGoo’s Christmas Carol - never got tired of it!
same here...very happy memories we lived just a short walk away and went most saturday mornings delighting in going down to the front to dance to the lastest songs after the film had ended...did you live near to the the villa cross

lyn

Such a shame when you see it as a ton of rubble. Many memories of my youth were had in that Picture House.
I used to love that little Sweet Shop next door it used to remind me of something from a Dickens novel.
Just picked up this thread of Villa Cross Cinema.
I used to go there with my new girlfriend Ann at the age of 15 (who lived in nearby Whitmore Street) around 1963 and always used to go to that little Sweet shop next door.
We got married in 1973 and Ann sadly died in 2019, but this thread bought back many happy times.

Great story, rummie, have very similar memories of the Royalty, Harborne, so sorry you lost your wife so recently. Regards Paul

Just picked up this thread of Villa Cross Cinema.
I used to go there with my new girlfriend Ann at the age of 15 (who lived in nearby Whitmore Street) around 1963 and always used to go to that little Sweet shop next door.
We got married in 1973 and Ann sadly died in 2019, but this thread bought back many happy times.
Mrs Brandts sweet shop!

Back