• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Villa Cross Cinema

Villa Cross at the arrival of sound

CCF22042012_villa X00000.jpg
Opened in May 1913 as the New Picture House, it was a project of Irving Bosco who went on to form Bosco’s Pictures Ltd in 1920. It was located at the main intersection of Heathfield Road, Villa Road and Lozells Road.
The building was a wonderful example of an early picture palace that was beginning to replace the former shop conversions of half a decade before. The facade was dominated by a huge round ‘Rose’ stained glass window over the main entrance doors. Inside the auditorium, there were sculptured decorative panels on the side walls proclaiming ‘The World Before Your Eyes’ that were guarded by statuary of angels and cherubs. All very charming! Seating was provided in stalls and circle.
The cinema became part of the small Shapeero circuit and it was re-named Villa Cross Picture Palace. It was taken over by the Denman/Gaumont circuit from March 1928 and they continued to operate through the rest of its cinematic life, eventually becoming part of the Rank Organisation. It closed on 20th April 1970 with Rock Hudson starring in “Ice Station Zebra”. It went over to screening Asian films of the Bollywood type for a while and then was converted into a Bingo Hall which closed down in September 1984.
Sadly the Villa Cross Picture House found itself right in the middle of the Handsworth race riots of 9th September 1985 and it was badly damaged in an arson attack by the rioters. What remained of the building was finally demolished in 1989.
A sad demise of a cinema building that today would certainly be worthy of Listed status.
(copyright Ken Roe)

Villa Cross in the Bingo Days

Attachments

• CCF22042012_00000.jpg
    CCF22042012_00000.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 51
  • CCF22042012_00001.jpg
    CCF22042012_00001.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 45
  • CCF22042012_villa x audit00001.jpg
    CCF22042012_villa x audit00001.jpg
    363.8 KB · Views: 45
  • CCF22042012villa x plaster00001.jpg
    CCF22042012villa x plaster00001.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 46
A great photo Chris B ,but there must have been sound other wise it wouldn't have Talkies on the building ? Oh i see you have changed the caption now Chris B, where you said it was a photo taken before sound, makes my comment sound daft and out of context. Thanks

what wonderful photos of the villa cross chris...

thank you for posting them...

lyn

thanks for pointing that out Big fella it was a freudian slip, just edit your post and it won't be out of context.

another great shot of the pic house..this one is courtesy of richard postill ex vicar of birmingham who used to live in radnor road near to the picture house..dated 1962 or 4...

villacross-1.jpg

Went there a few times in the 50's when I lived in Aston, if there was nothing worth seeing at the 'Vic' or Astoria (Aston Cross). Eric

Great photo Lyn. Could be completely wrong on this but is this half of that cottage? It's opposite what was the Villa Cross pub. We discussed this cottage somewhere else on the forum. I vaguely remember the cottage might be listed.

Sad to see that having demolished the cinema all that's in its place is a car park. Viv
image.jpeg

cant be certain if its part of the cottage viv..the cinema took up much more space than the building that was originally there...im sure i have a old pic showing what was next to the picture house..will try and hunt it out

Lyn, used to go to Villa Cross if nothing on at the 'Vic', Aston Cross or Astoria and seem to remember a sweet shop next door, could be wrong it was 60 years ago !! Eric

hi eric go to vivs post 74...that used to be next to the villa cross cinema and was a sweet shop so could be the one you are thinking about...we use to go in there and buy a glass of tizer for a penny...happy days..

lyn

ok thanks paul..i bit before my time then but i have happy memories of those days

lyn

Back