• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Villa Cross Cinema

Villa cross foyer.jpg thanks judy and topsy...nice to put a few back on...just found another one...

2056-0.jpg

Last edited:
villa cross pic house under demo (2).jpg these pics are not so nice charlie..the demise of the pic house...

demoofvillacrosspichouse.jpg

Last edited:
Very sad pictures Lyn. Always upsetting to see your happy memories disappearing like this.

Judy

its is indeed judy but like i have always said..our memories i something that cant be taken away...

lyn x

Photos taken last year( 2011 )of the site of The Villa Cross picture house, and the old shop next to it, a listed building now i am told.

Attachments

• The old shop next to the Villa Cross cinema..JPG
    The old shop next to the Villa Cross cinema..JPG
    496 KB · Views: 49
  • The old shop ( taken from car park of Villa Cross pub ).JPG
    The old shop ( taken from car park of Villa Cross pub ).JPG
    690.4 KB · Views: 52
  • Tank Area..JPG
    Tank Area..JPG
    628.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Taken from posistion which over looked the tank.JPG
    Taken from posistion which over looked the tank.JPG
    734.1 KB · Views: 47
  • Villa Cross (with me stick ).jpg
    Villa Cross (with me stick ).jpg
    782.1 KB · Views: 51
nice pics big fella..the times ive been into that shop for a penny glass of tizer then hot footed it to the cinema...

cheers

lyn

think ive posted this before but the last film i saw there was true grit..john wayne...i was in cowboy films then lol

lyn

Photos taken last year( 2011 )of the site of The Villa Cross picture house, and the old shop next to it, a listed building now i am told.

Yes it might be listed. If it's the one on Heathfield Road it dates to late 1700s! On an earlier photo of the cinema (posted by Big Fella and posted again below) there's a row of them. Here's the listed status info for Heathfield Road. However, the description doesn't quite tally, so not 100% sure about the status.

https://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-217270-106-birmingham

This is Big Fellas photo from the other thread for easy comparison. ( Hope that's OK Big Fella). The house would be behind the parked car.
560791fc-7043-6858.jpg

hi viv as far as i know its a listed building..shame the other houses were demolished but at least this one was saved from the bulldozers...next time i am that way i shall take a better look at it...ie have a look round the back lol

lyn

Hi Lyn. I wonder if this is half the house. This is the listing description (it does say 'altered' - so not too sure, as I can't quite match it up). Sounds like this could be your next mission! Lol. Viv.

HEATHFIELD ROAD
Lozells B19
No 106
SP 08 NE 7/49
II
Late C18, altered. Stucco; slate roof. Two storeys; 3 bays. Ground floor with
central panelled door in pedimented doorcase with Ionic columns and, on the left,
garage doors brought out and tiled as though a bay window and, on the right, an
altered window with glazing bars and moulded surround. First floor with 2 similar
windows in moulded surrounds.

Listing NGR: SP0616089721

Hi Lyn. I wonder if this is half the house. This is the listing description (it does say 'altered' - so not too sure, as I can't quite match it up). Sounds like this could be your next mission! Lol. Viv.

HEATHFIELD ROAD
Lozells B19
No 106
SP 08 NE 7/49
II
central panelled door in pedimented doorcase with Ionic columns and, on the left,
altered window with glazing bars and moulded surround. First floor with 2 similar

I would say no !

hi viv i would also so no...its not changed that much since i was a kid..its had a new roof during recent years because i well remember only about 5 years back seeing the original tiles..holes in the roof and birds nesting...but yes it could be my next mission..need to take a better look at it when i can..

lyn

HEATHFIELD ROAD
Lozells B19
No 106
SP 08 NE 7/49
II

According to Kellys directory the shop " confectioner " was no 7 Heathfield Rd

Big Fella, your 2nd photo taken in 2011 does seem to have #7 on the wall to right of the ground floor window. At least it looks like #7. Viv.

Just checked out the listed building postcode and it brings up this house further down Heathfield Rd. So will keep looking for the listing of the 'confectioners'. Still nice to know there's another interesting bulding close by. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332190502.899879.jpg

thanks viv..will report my findings on the old shop when i can take a better look at it...

lyn

Back