• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Viking aircraft 1951

cookie273uk

master brummie
Viking_Gao_Sahara_desert_002.JPG
I returned from the Gold Coast (now Ghana) in 1951 after 2 years travelling around Africa with the RAF on the last Lancaster Squadron (82PR) doing an aerial survey of the British colonies for mapping purposes, and we came back in a charter Viking of Huntings Airways,( who are still operating) at Black Bush which was our destination. This watercolour, which I painted in the 70's depicts the aircraft refuelling at Gao in the middle of the Sahara desert and manned by the French Foreign Legion. The temperature was 124 F but we were only there for about 3/4 hour. Not one of my best paintings but it conveys the atmosphere as I remembered it which is important to me. The painting was presented to Huntings Airways many years ago. Eric

Last edited:
Hello Eric, As usual an excellent painting and I enjoyed reading the historical piece too. Best Wishes, Anthea.

Just like all the previous ones, a wonderful painting Eric, I am no good at all working freehand as you do.

82_28PR29quadron_Nairobi_1949~0.jpg
Slightly of thread but this is a pic I took of part of our Lancaster Sqdn in peace time livery June 1950 at RAF Eastleigh Nairobi , the one 2nd left is now the the memorial flight Lancaster. Eric
82_28PR29quadron_Nairobi_1949.jpg

Last edited:
Eric, Would love to be able to see your latest Lancaster Sqdn picture, but all I can see is a small red x.???

ANthea TRY now, I deleted it from my Image Hosting Gallery not realising it would also delete it of the thread. I have now began a new album titled 'pics of my past' put it on there and hence back on this thread. you live and learn. Eric

Eric, thank you I can see the picture now. I used to go to air shows to see the Lancaster, Spitfire and Hurricanes. I went to an air display in the 1960's on Billesley Common, Kings Heath where the Harrier Jump Jet arrived and the Vulcan Bomber flew overhead deafening everyone. Anthea

I was an air wireless operator on the squadron and logged nearly 2000 hours on the lancasters durig my 2 years with the sqdn oct 1949 to Nov1951 , my greatest thrill was on returning after a long survey flight the skipper would let me (or any other crew member) take his seat and actually fly it for a few minutes, strictly against all regulations of course. Incidently they surveyed 1 million square miles in 7 years. Eric

Last edited:
Back