• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Video Juke Box 1940s

Bill Parker

master brummie
I am posting this here simply because I cannot think of anywhere more appropriate. In the USA during the early 40s what could be called a "video Juke Box" was developed that allowed not just the sound but also an image of the artist to be seen.

The equipment was quite complex and used 16mm film in Black and White along with optical sound. I did find a website that showed the mechanism and from what I could see it appeared all the various film were spliced together, if I am correct then it would not have been posible to select a specific track but to just take pot luck on what was next. I suspect this was the case as having numerous spools of film that would have to be selected and threaded via an auto thread mechanism would have been increbibly complex and probably quite unreliable but I stand corrected.

I believe the company that built them was called "Pan-oram" and was based In Chicago. "Youtube" has numerous examples of these soundies easily recognised because if they are played back on conventional film projectors the image is reversed and the sound is out of sync . The image reversal was neccesitated by the mirror system used to deflect the image onto the built is screen on the player but I can only assume the sound heads were placed in a different position on the player.

The reason I am posting this long missive is to ask anyone if they have ever come across a later version of the system. I seen to vaguely remember a friend mentioning a Juke Box that showed pictures and I am sure he would not have been referring to the American ones.

I used to collect 16mm film and amongst my collection of odd bits and bobs is a colour film again with a reversed image and with the sound out of sync. I bought this becuase if its oddity value and assumed it was a faulty print that had accidently been printed in reverse but I now think this is not the case and instead have what is basically a younger version of the same thing. My film features from that i can remember the song "Up on the Roof" and Lional Blair and his sister demonstrating the latest dance, there are several other tracks but I cant remember precisely the details. I suspect this material would have dated from the early 60s.

So does anyone here remember a Juke box that showed films of the Artists around the early 1960s?
Here is a Youtube link to one of my favourites. Note that the sound is synched but the iage is still reversed, unless all those saxophonists are left handed!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS3ZiginrH0&videos=XJ04RZ11gbs

Shes quite a cutie eh chaps!!! BTW Im not old enough to remember this!!!!

hello, re- soundies, i seem to remember seeing and hearing a vidio and sound juckbox at the Cinaphone cinema in the early 60's on the Bristol road in edgbaston birmingham.

shardeen

There was one in the 'Grotto' - a coffee bar which had a 'not strictly legal' drinking club down in the cellar, somewhere near the Silver Blades/Bromsgrove St. area.

In the 60s we used to spend Saturday afternoons there, after entering through a side alleyway and a door which had a hatch in it, we drank rough cider and listened to the Mike Burney band, sometimes with Steve Winwood jamming.... oh those were the days. Anyway, there was a video jukebox upstairs in the coffee bar area. Tunes I remember are 'All over the World' by French singer Francoise Hardy with a film of her on a swing - and I think 'Unchained Melody', but I can't be sure.

I do remember something like that, it was at a pub out towards Kinver way, it played a song and video called the reverse stripper. Quite upset by boyfriend as she put her clothes back on.

Thanks for your responses, looks like the same type of thing did carry on for longer than the original Pan-oram. if this film I have is from a Video juke box and I suspect it is, I would say the contents date from the early 1960s I must get around to sorting the film out and watching it again. Another two of its tracks came to me after i had posted my original message they are Aker Bilk singing "Got to see baby tonight" well those are the lyrics but maybe not the title and a female vocalist singing something to the effect "She might kiss you like I do but she will never love you like I do" or something to that effect.............again my thanks:)

Back