• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Victorian mausoleums and memorials

Morturn

Super Moderator
Staff member
I became fascinated with Victorian mausoleums and memorials whilst visiting
cemeteries. The carvings are exquisite and their faces seem so real.

I started photographing them and it soon became obvious that particular designs cropped up repeatedly. Angels holding on to crosses, the draped urn, the down turned torch, the broken column, and the weeping cherub, are all symbols of those who
had gone before us.

The more weathered they were the more lifelike and appealing they appeared, entropy turning an ordinary object, into a
masterpiece.

I cannot quite remember when this obs
ession with Victorian cemeteries began, though I never thought of myself as a morbid person,
and of course, my fascination was not anything to do with death, quite the contrary, it was to do with life: the lives of those that had gone before us.

I have put together a collection of some of the images I have taken over the past few years and turned them into an Audio Visual Slideshow.

You can download this slideshow at the link below.

https://www.mediafire.com/?yj4cymzmmjy

It is a zipped file, so just download it to your desk top, right click and tell it to ' extract here'. double click the newly unzipped file and it will play just like a video with sound.

Please note that some computers and antivirus software may give a warning, I promise its safe and not a malware nasty.

I hope you like it, any thoughts or comments are very welcome.

PS I think i have something similar with images of Warstone cemetery in 2004 and the boat graveyard at Purton knocking about some ware, if anyone is interested I can have a look for it.

The Doctor will see you now, Mr Morturn!

Only joking! :smug:

Is this a bit like Interflora and restaurant ice creams. They all seem to have the same printed displays and then the individual establishments do their best to produce their versions of the displayed "set pieces'? :smug:

The Purton boats were also photographed by someone on https://www.28dayslater.co.uk earlier this year. But it's interesting to have records for reference whilst they are still there. Thank you.

Maurice

(Admin: What's happened to my old sunglasses smiley then?)

Back