• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Victorian & Edwardian buildings listings

Rosary_Boy

master brummie
Hope I can post this here
over last 15 years ive been going around and taken photos of whats left of old brum and its buildings,
is there a lists of all the buildings left in Birmingham from the Victorian/Edwardian times or a book? with
the lists and addresses of the buildings that are left, I hope someone can help who is a lot better then me in this search

thank you

Rosary_Boy I'm just looking at my copy of Victorian Buildings of Birmingham, by Roy Thornton . Can I add that this is only victorian buildings

You could try

Birmingham Pevsner Architectural Guide by Andy Foster ISBN 978-0-300-10731-9
or
A Guide to the Buildings of Birmingham by Peter Leather ISBN 0-7524-2475-0

Both contain photos and information on the architectural history of Birmingham.

Don’t forget to post some of your pictures!

Yes I agree and there is also the added advantage that with any building that you are having difficulty with I'm sure that there will be those on here willing and able to offer advice and information.

Not every building is mentioned in Pevsner or in the Victorian Buildings book. Sometimes Google searches comes up with the wrong results! Some buildings are now façades with a modern building behind.

Yes I agree and there is also the added advantage that with any building that you are having difficulty with I'm sure that there will be those on here willing and able to offer advice and information.
yeah thanks phil ive took about 10000 photos since the summer of Victorian and Edwardian buildings by just walking around a lot, ive done Digbeth, Deritend, City Centre, Small Heath, Bordesley, Nechells, Aston, Cheapside, Hockley, but am missing a lot out and not knowing whats there and where abouts ? etc

Not every building is mentioned in Pevsner or in the Victorian Buildings book. Sometimes Google searches comes up with the wrong results! Some buildings are now façades with a modern building behind.

Of course every Victorian or Edwardian building is not covered by these books, I don't think there is any one book that could cover that range of Birmingham buildings but they would provide a good starting point.

Personally I think Rosary Boy would do better to post any image he has a problem with on this forum, because as I said previously someone on here will certainly be able to assist him.

The Victorian Society did a good book on Victorian & Edwardian Architects which list many, many buildings in Birmingham. There was a copy in the Pen Museum Library in the Jewellery Quarter.

Of course every Victorian or Edwardian building is not covered by these books, I don't think there is any one book that could cover that range of Birmingham buildings but they would provide a good starting point.

Personally I think Rosary Boy would do better to post any image he has a problem with on this forum, because as I said previously someone on here will certainly be able to assist him.

phil do I post my pictures on here or start a new thread ? don't want to get told off lol

It looks like the lists above highlight Grade I and Grade II* listings. There are of course a number of beautiful Grade II listings.

I’ve been taking photos and adding them to the Historic England listings for a while. (Not Birmingham but in my locality). It’s useful as it keeps a check on the state of the buildings, monuments etc I usually upload 4 photos of a building so you get a view of as many features as possible. It’s surprising how many listings don’t have an up to date view. It also opens your eyes to the wealth of listed buildings in a locality. A useful job if anyone has time to do it

You need to register to “Enrich the List”. Viv.

Last edited:
There seems to be a difference between Historic England and English Heritage ?

I have uploaded pictures to Historic England.

Historic England looks after the Listed Buildings etc, English Heritage Looks after building of a Historic Interest, usually ones that are not habitable castles etc.

Back