• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Victoria Terrace back of Webster Street Aston

rowan

Born a Brummie
Is there a map of Victoria Terrace Webster Street Aston please, I would be most grateful........ even more so if it shows the back to back houses there.

Many thanks :encouragement:

Thank you very much Mike................. my great aunt lived there & I can clearly recall getting of the bus, after I left work at Harry H Corbett's, at the Aston Hip & walking down an ally to the yard where she lived in a one up & one down & I can still see the black range shining after she had black leaded it :pride:

Just wish I could make out the way I went in from the map :friendly_wink:

again many thanks.

Rowan & Mike

According to Kelly's Victoria Terrace was the first back court on the north side of the street. So looking at the map that would make it number 2 court.

Attachments

• Victoria Terrace.JPG
    Victoria Terrace.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 62
Mike it was in the 1950 edition, which was odd because it always seems to be the earlier ones that name the back courts instead of just the numbers.

Many, many thanks to you both. Can I just ask please ............ are the little clutch of buildings in the middle, the back houses as her house was not facing the road but facing the brew houses across the yard.

I do appreciate your time & trouble xx

Rowan
The court changed a little later. Below is how the area is in c 1951, if that helps.

map_c_1951A_Webster_st.jpg

Rowan

The little clutch of buildings in the middle of the court would be the outside toilets and brew houses, and the two small structures top right possibly the miskin. It looks a quite posh yard as they each had their own toilet and 0ne brew house between three.

I have some family photo`s taken in Victoria Place I was born in there and my Nan lived in there until it was demolished,if you want to see them how do I post the pictures,I do have to say though you only see a bit of the yard they were photos of us when we were kids

tootz2,
thank you for offering to post photo's of Victoria Terrace that would be really great. I wonder if your Nan knew my Great Aunt her name was Caroline, known as Carrie, Marshall & she had a daughter called Dorothy. Aunt Carrie also lived there until the houses were demolished and Dorothy lived there for awhile after she married.
Thank you again.

Rowan, just a long shot but was Dorothy Marshall married to a Norman? Townsend? My sister who is 10 years older than me was friendly with them.

My Nan used to live next door to Mrs Marshall Rowan..My Nan was Fanny Wilson I can still picture Mrs Marshall very nice family,I just have to find out how to post the photo`s now,I promise I will though.

Thank you tootz for the photo's they are great and have bought back so many memories of when I used to go to see Aunt Carrie usually on a Saturday after I finished work at Henry Corbett & she would iron the dress for me that I was to wear to a Saturday night dance :)

Her twin sister was my Grandmother & she lived in Ward End.

I recall the yard so well & how Aunt Carrie's house was so clean the range shone with black lead.

Happy days and an even happier day today after seeing these pictures............... a lovely birthday present for me today :))

Sylvia:

No I am sorry Dorothy I believe married a Kenneth Wanty and they moved to Newport in Wales.

Rowan your so welcome,Im sorry the photo`s dont show much of the yard,I would love to see it all again myself,that yard was the centre of my childhood from my birth until it was demolished.I have so many happy memories there,some Saturday nights were amazing,my Nan use to get the piano pulled out into the yard,she would send us over the road to the Wagon and Horses pub with a jug where she said "you MUST ask for two halves of mild" most of the neighbours would come out for a sing song and us kids were treated to hot potatoes and cockles.Nothing was too much to help each other in that yard and it was so clean.Mrs Marshall and my Nan shared the brewhouse and toilet "spotless"!!Im a bit confused where you say you walked down an alleyway,from the Hippodrome you would turn left into Burlington Street,cross the road go past 4 houses and turn into the yard,there was however a big bomb shelter as soon as you turned in off Burlington Street,maybe thats what your thinking of.There were 2 entrances one from Webster Street and the other Burlington Street..Happy Birthday by the way,I am so pleased I could answer your plea xxx

Astoness
You are so welcome,glad you liked them xx

Toot22 - I'm sorry I don't know of any siblings of Norman Townsend, but I do know his younger cousin also Norman Townsend who went to Burlington Street School with me, and he has a younger sister Christine. Rowan - I said it was a long shot but thought it may help.

A lot of people in the area called that yard the Pallisades. One of my neighbours' parents Mr & Mrs. Crutchley lived in one of the four houses in Burlington Street just up from Griffins the greengrocers.

Back