• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Victoria Square

This image must be early 1900s (maybe someone can date). I like it because it shows both the early motor car and a hanson cab. Also, there’s an ice cream vendor. Looking at previous early images, there frequently seems to be an ice cream vendor on that spot or directly outside the Council House. Viv.

6A5A94E2-E883-452E-96D4-F558C8E5C4D6.jpeg

Glad you like them John. Victoria Square is back to normal again now that the German Christmas Market has closed again.

Some views of Victoria Square taken today from the Council House.

I was at the Birmingham We Are event.

Some protest this morning.

People's Forward flag.

New paving to the right from the Metro extension works.

Towards New Street.

Floozie still a flower bed.

Union Jack

Top of Christchurch Passage from Waterloo Street. Steps closed apart from access to Nando's Staff. But did see a man go down.

So what is the back story behine the stone?

I didn't know that stone was there.
Edit. I've just found this, thanks again ellbrown! The Victoria Square statue has been hiding a secret for 25 years - Birmingham Live
rosie.

Read this from the link above (they used my old photo).

The Queen Victoria statue standing proud in Birmingham city centre is hiding a secret.

The location is famous for many things, not least of all its 'Floozie in the Jacuzzi', the historic and beautiful Council House and its statue of Queen Victoria, erected in 1901.

But, around 25 years ago, Victoria Square underwent some facelift work which saw contractors on site carrying out major renovation.

Keeping busy alongside the construction staff was a Black Labrador named Ebony who could often be seen hanging around the square wearing high vis and carrying tools belonging to her owner who was working on the project.

Her dedication to the cause was marked by a paw print in one of the concrete blocks with the words 'On site Ebony 1992-93'.

I like all the steps that are now in place around the square. Seems to raise up the Council House, Town Hall etc. Makes more of a statement.

Hopefully there are ramps to to give access to all. Viv.

You should see all the roadworks right now Viv. Which means the likes of the Colmore Food Festival will take place this year in Centenary Square.

Back