• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

VICTORIA ROAD SALVATION ARMY

The Baron

master brummie
Hi any one remember the Victoria Road SALVATION ARMY? Most of my family attended in the 1920/30s, nearly all were members of the Band, I have posted three pics, can any one recall knowing anyone from these?
My uncles are in all three pic.
ASTON

Thank you, I loved the photos. I don't have a relationship to the Victoria Road Salvation Army but I wonder if you might have ever heard of a Hope Street Mission in Birmingham? I have not been able to find anything about it, but always felt it may have been Salvation Army. My grgrandmother stated in one of her inherited letters, a particular "Sister Bessy" was kind to her. If you would know anything about a Hope Street Mission, I would be very pleased to hear from you. I am in Canada

HI Mayflower, I will have to ask my Cousin about that one when I see him, I know the Army called there female members SISTER.
Regards ASTON

Mayflower, There was a Elizabeth Green Mission in Alcester Street Deritend (She was the founder)
she also started Boy's Night Shelter in Bradford St.Mission for Poor Children at Chapel House in Deritend which moved to Warwick St. She was also a member of YWCA and Children's Service Union.
She set up an Adult School, Womens Fellowship, Benevolent Fund, Band of Hope, A Youth Club and generally helped the needy, she died in 1917 and the mission carried on till 1966 and then closed down

Back