• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Victoria Road Aston

pejoy

proper brummie kid
Hello my name is Pete.
Born in 1940 at 102 Victoria rd. Aston, and now living in Queensland Australia.
I have traced my family history back to the mid 1700s. from Nottingham to Derby ending in Birmingham
I would now like to trace the history of the house I was born in.
From when it was built until I was born.
I would like to know when it was built, who owned it and who lived there up to 1920s.
I would like to hear from anyone who could help me trace the house history.

It might be possible to trace previous occupants via electoral rolls and/or Kelly's directories. Some are online at Ancestry but others would need a visit to the library.

Janice

Surname might help.

thanks Carolina.
During the 1930s - 1940s the house at 102 Victoria Rd. was occupied by my mum & dad.
They were not the owners, I am tracing the Cross or Tennant family name,
Who may have occupied or owned the house prior to mum & dad living there.
Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Kelly's only list owners not tenants so that may not help. I found Agnes and Gilbert Cross on the 1935 electoral roll but have not had time to look for others. There are only some rolls on Ancestry.

Janice

1911 census

102 Victoria Road , Aston Manor.

Harry Hammersley Cross age 54 born Shipley Gate, Derbyshire Manufacturers clerk
Hannah Fenton Cross age 57 wife
Helen Fenton Cross (possibly Ellen) daughter age 33 b Peterborough
Albert stanhope Cross age 24 b Birmingham
Gilbert cross age 22 b Birmingham
George Henry Cross age 18
William Cross age 16.

Are you looking for a Cross/Tennant connection?

A William Cross married Agnes A Tennant in 1916 he died in Oct 1926 and then Agnes A Cross married Gilbert Cross in 1942, she died in 1946 and Gilbert died in 1958.
2 Cross/Tennant births Aston - Edna V 1917, William E 1922.

Harry Hammersley Cross married Hannah Fenton Stanhope in 1877 Nottingham.

Last edited:
Janice
Not quite accurate that no tenants were included in Kellys, though probably most listed were the owners. Would be accurate to say that only the ratepayers were listed (though I could give a couple of exceptions where two different businesses were run from the same building)

Janice
Not quite accurate that no tenants were included in Kellys, though probably most listed were the owners. Would be accurate to say that only the ratepayers were listed (though I could give a couple of exceptions where two different businesses were run from the same building)

Thanks Mike - I had misunderstood. Always good to learn something new.
Janice

Hi pejoy

A couple of photos here, one shows 102 & 104 as a guest house (Brighton Villas) in 1976, the other shows it today as the few houses in that stretch of the road are some of the few that survived the demolition hammer.

Attachments

• 102 Victoria Rd.JPG
    102 Victoria Rd.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Aston Victoria Rd 1976.JPG
    Aston Victoria Rd 1976.JPG
    265.1 KB · Views: 71
Hi pejoy

A couple of photos here, one shows 102 & 104 as a guest house (Brighton Villas) in 1976, the other shows it today as the few houses in that stretch of the road are some of the few that survived the demolition hammer.

Thanks Phil,
We much appreciate the consideration you and others have given to our request for help.

Best wishes
Pejoy

Hi pejoy,

Are you related to the Cross/Tennant families? My Great Grandfather was Harry Hammersley Cross who was living at 102 Victoria Road when the 1911 census was taken as shown above. I have a lot of information on the Cross family if you are a relative. Looking forward to your reply,

Many Regards,

Elwyn.

oldnall-hants.

Hi pejoy,

Are you related to the Cross/Tennant families? My Great Grandfather was Harry Hammersley Cross who was living at 102 Victoria Road when the 1911 census was taken as shown above. I have a lot of information on the Cross family if you are a relative. Looking forward to your reply,

Many Regards,

Elwyn.

oldnall-hants.
Hi Elwyn.
My wife Joy is related. Her mother was Edna Victoria Cross. Last year you were in contact with Rebecca, our daughter in law. The information you gave to Rebecca was very interesting and informative,
We were also pleasantly surprised to find that you found us on this forum, attempting to add to the information you gave Rebecca, she also gave us your email address, will be in touch.
Kind regards
Peter & Joy

Hi Elwyn.
My wife Joy is related. Her mother was Edna Victoria Cross. Last year you were in contact with Rebecca, our daughter in law. The information you gave to Rebecca was very interesting and informative,
We were also pleasantly surprised to find that you found us on this forum, attempting to add to the information you gave Rebecca, she also gave us your email address, will be in touch.
Kind regards
Peter & Joy
Hi Peter and Joy,
Good to make contact with you both. Glad you have my e.mail address. I googled Harry Hammersley Cross which brought up your request on this forum. I will look forward to further contact with you both via e.mail.

Many Regards,

Elwyn.

Hi mike
Is it possible for you or any other member could tell me what is the name of the road
That is next to George road which is off the parade and summer hill please
As I am trying to work some think out
The name of the road I am trying to recall is the one that runs directly down from warstone lane clock
As it goes down the hill towards summer hill and the kingedward pub at the bottom of the hill
And across the road facing is Edward road the lyric picture house
Or coming from spring hill towards the sandpitts passing the Pitts you come to the parade
A little island the kingedwards pub is on your right and that is the road I need to know
On that very corner the road takes you up to war stone lane clock up the hill
But the very next one as it looks like a fork road will take you to new hall street
Or can you show a map of that area which is Ladywood for 1955/57 years
But is that road next to George road I really need to know
Once again mike many thanks for your time in reading my request
Best wishes Alan,,, Astonian,,,

Alan
It is Frederick St down as far as Legge Lane, and then from Legge Lane down to the Parade it is Newhall Hill

Hi mike
Many thanks for your fast responds on my request for this road I tryed the other night to recall it
By I just could not recall it
Many years ago I do believe there was some kind of beer maker at the bottom end of the hill
This was a very old tall building I presume it could have been earlky 1900s you could just make the name
And stating they was brewers this would have been the parade and next to Camden street
And the San Pitts of summer lane /summer hill
And just as you approach this summer lane a stone throw from corner to corner
There was a very high indeed high and I mean high about 300 feet high
That laid back and it was in a yard and high on the walls
In very ghostly pale faded writing stating London sand midland cleaning company
Dateing back to 1800/1900s and my calculations that wall would have backed on to a property
Up the top end of Camden street to another property
With a huge court yard and I mean a huge court yard and it was a large square yard
It was William sapcotes from London whom renovated it and moved in
Just thinking and bearing in mind some of the history snfpd maps I have just been reading that you put on
Its States that George road and the Camden street was sandpitts as well
Just a thought mike best wishes Alan,,,Astonian

I think my aunt and her family lived in either 104 or 106 Victoria Road for many years, do you remember the Biddles?
Aunt Ada was still there in the fifties and her second marriage was to a car repairer Alf Mc Divitt also from a Victoria Road body shop.
My cousin Victor Biddle worked at Sanders chemists in Potter's Hill and took over the business when he returned from the Royal Navy after the war ended.
My brother took his family to Aus in 1970, they are all in Brisbane although my brother has passed on

Junction of Victoria Rd, Witton Rd and Six Ways (1960s?)
29f1lj.jpg

Back