• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Victoria Cross & George Cross Holders of Birmingham

Tombs baptism as St Barnabas Erdington as Frederick
1642938871954.png
On 1891 census they are in Leicestershire and he is listed as Griffith.
1901 he is a boarder at Grantham (where there is now a blue plaque) and listed as Frederick G.

Thanks Janice. Tombs (Griffiths) seems to have happily lost the “Tombs” from his name. Wonder why ? He didn’t register as Frederick (also his father’s name) at school and didn’t know his fathers address when he enlisted (parents had separated). Sounds to me that he probably wanted to cut the ties with his father.

What an interesting life he had. Viv.

One site suggests he was born in Australia as "no English birth record found" but I suspect they looked for his enlisted name of James Harcourt Tombs.
Interesting character.

Back