• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Victor Biddle

Eric Gibson

master brummie
I've been trying without any luck to find my cousin Victor's WW2 service record, he was a medic in the Royal Navy.
Ancestry had a free search this week end on military stuff but I couldn't find him under Victor Biddle or Victor James Biddle (his full name), maybe it's me.

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Eric , the information on Ancestry about British servicemen in WW11 is very limited.
Mostly about Roll of honour and prisoners of war.

Last edited:

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Eric,

They're still with the MOD and, if you are next of kin, or very close, you may be able to get a copy by paying £30 and filling in the forms to an address in Glasgow. The downside is if your claim is rejected or they are unable to find the records due to your inability to provide insufficient in formation such as service number and regiment, you forfeit your £30. You may also need to prove that he is deceased.

Maurice

Eric Gibson

master brummie
Thanks for the replies, pretty much as I've found, can't even find which ship/ships he served on.
I know he was in Colombo, Ceylon waters at the time of a big battle, he said most of the time they were occupied with pulling bodies from the sea and re-burying them with a service.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi eric the other downside is that you can wait a long time (over a year in some cases i know of) to receive the records from the MOD

lyn

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Yes, Lyn, I found that too. In desperation I sent them a reminder and within a few days I had received two separate copies of the same records! A3 colour prints too, so I just kept my mouth shut!

Maurice :cool:

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
just a quick question can i get my dads national service records if so is the same process and cost as obtaining WW2 records

lyn

Eric Gibson

master brummie
Yes Alan, that's the man, I posted his photo and that of his shop some time ago.

He and his wife later moved from Potter's Hill to Villa Road a few doors along from the Villa Cross cinema.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
thanks josie...just had a quick look and if i have read it correct i dont think there is much point in my applying for dads records because it says i wont get much info from them unless he has been deceased for more than 25 years...dad died 5 years ago also i do not know his service number

What information you’ll get
Records date from 1920 and may include:

• surname, first name, service number, rank and regiment or corps
  • place and date of birth
  • date they joined and left the armed forces
  • date of death, if they died in service
  • good conduct medals
  • details about their career, for example the units they served in - you can only get these 25 years after the date they died, unless you have consent from their next of kin

bewdley

master brummie
thanks josie...just had a quick look and if i have read it correct i dont think there is much point in my applying for dads records because it says i wont get much info from them unless he has been deceased for more than 25 years...dad died 5 years ago also i do not know his service number

What information you’ll get
Records date from 1920 and may include:

• surname, first name, service number, rank and regiment or corps
  • place and date of birth
  • date they joined and left the armed forces
  • date of death, if they died in service
  • good conduct medals
  • details about their career, for example the units they served in - you can only get these 25 years after the date they died, unless you have consent from their next of kin

Lyn have you clicked on the next of kin's records link in the "Fill in a request form" section.

If his spouse is next of kin, still alive and willing to apply then there is no fee; so whatever you get is better than nothing, even if it's his service number.

Or his spouse can give her consent for you to apply (not sure about fee in this instance though). Or you could apply as his next of kin.

Have you searched for him on the absent voters list, it might reveal his service number?

I'm going to apply to get my father in law's naval records, his name was John Davies (wonder how many were serving in the RN during WW2 with that name?) and that's all the info I have apart from his birth date and the names of some of the ships he served on, but his sons want me to try and you never know what'll turn up. Here's hoping.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi josie...mom is also deceased...i am their eldest child and i registered both of their deaths...dad did not serve during the war he was too young... he only did his national service..joined when he was 18 in 1947 pretty sure he was in the roylal warks and was stationed in portsmouth...to be honest i think £30 is a lot to pay if all i will get is dads service number but i will have a better look at the form you mentioned and also check the e rolls...thanks josie

lyn

Last edited:

bewdley

master brummie
hi josie...mom is also deceased...i am their eldest child and i registered both of their deaths...dad did not serve during the war he was too young... he only did his national service..joined when he was 18 in 1947 pretty sure he was in the roylal warks and was stationed in portsmouth...to be honest i think £30 is a lot to pay if all i will get is dads service number but i will have a better look at the form you mentioned and also check the e rolls...thanks josie

lyn
Hi Lyn, I agree it is a lot to pay especially when it's unlikely to reveal much. My dad was born 1919 so was in for the duration and father in law was 1925. He went into the RN (or maybe he was called up when he was of age) I'll have to ask mother in law if she remembers how it all happened, but she's 93 and might not remember. It will be interesting to see his service records if we actually get them. He married whilst serving and I thought it was usual to give the service number on the marriage certificate, but it isn't on theirs: even though he married in uniform. Josie

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
thanks josie...oh i do hope you manage to get your father in laws records...i was lucky enough to find my gt grandads and my grandads service records on ancestry and found them fascinating to read...

lyn

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Lyn,

My National Service record records all the stations I was on, all my changes of rank, and the C.O.'s opinion of me as an airman plus my service number, of course. Two A3 colour sheets.

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
Yes. Lyn, I don't have an A3 scanner otherwise I would send you copy. It certainly told me a few things I didn't remember.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
Yes. Lyn, I don't have an A3 scanner otherwise I would send you copy. It certainly told me a few things I didn't remember.

ooh err maurice i hope the opinions of you were good ones...i am sure they were:)

lyn