• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Very young Smethwick soldier

terry carter

Birmingham Pals
hello all

Found an interesting item in Picture World published on 9 Feb 1916. Can anyone help me in finding out more about this lad

JONES B E JOINED AT 14 - 9 FEB 1916 TPW.jpg

Thanks

Terry

p.s. Illustrated Weekly Mercury was where the item come from.

You are right Terry - interesting. But it will be a dead end because....

1. He is a Jones
2. No Christian name
3. No name of parents

So no MIC or census etc

I notice he lived at 121 Edith Rd. My Great Uncle, who died of wounds in France, was from 124 Edith Rd so would probably have known the family. Would census records give some info ?

hello both

Perhaps census records may give his name rather than initials. He has a mention in the National Roll of the Great War (Birmingham), but, again only initials. Still living at 121 Edith Road, Smethwick.

regards

Terry

On the 1911 the family is Maybury at 121 Edith Rd. I can't find anything on Ancestry about his Army records either. (No surprise really, had a terrible job with my own "Jones").
Sorry!
rosie.

Bert Ernest Jones of 121 Edith Road Smethwick, his Army Records are on Ancestry. Fathers name Arthur.
Lynne.

His service records prove interesting reading. After his discharge he re-enlisted to what looks like the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders. There seems to be quite a few times he was absent and forfeiting several days pay. Then he moved onto the Army Service Corps before deserting on 28 July 1917. No more info after that.

However, we must admire his pluck as a 14 year old lad enlisting into a regular battalion of the Worcestershire Regiment and serving for nearly a year in the trenches before being badly wounded with a gun shot wound to his stomach.

Terry

I couldn't agree more Terry, he must have seen and done far more than he should have done at his age.
Lynne.

His service records prove interesting reading. After his discharge he re-enlisted to what looks like the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders. There seems to be quite a few times he was absent and forfeiting several days pay. Then he moved onto the Army Service Corps before deserting on 28 July 1917. No more info after that.

However, we must admire his pluck as a 14 year old lad enlisting into a regular battalion of the Worcestershire Regiment and serving for nearly a year in the trenches before being badly wounded with a gun shot wound to his stomach.

Terry
Looks like a touch of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder doesn't it ?

Rosie beat me to the Mayburys. Used Kellys 1913 which has some names for Edith Road and then found a couple there in 1911 then found 121 Edith Road.

Great detective work to find his service record - 29 pages - inc a few blank.

1. 1901 census (no luck with 1911)
349 Bearwood Rd
Father Arthur, 31, haulier, born Bham. Wife Mary Eliza,33, born Malta. Siblings Wm Arthur,10, born Cov + Frank Thomas, 8 + Ellen Elizabeth,4, and Bert Ernest, 10m. If the latter is true he was born cJuly 1899 so 15 when war broke out and he joined - conflict with newspaper where he claimed he was 14.

2. Service record.
Nothing for 1914. Attested 5.10.16. and gave age as 21y 4m. Said he was a motor driver. In answer to the question about serving before he cited 3/Worcs for one year 21 days to 10.1.16 when he was wounded (so enlisted c Dec 1914). Discharged 10.7.16 through abdomen wound. At home 5.10.16. Lot of pay deductions for periods of absent without leave. His new unit after attestation was the 5th Res Bn, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.

On 23.6.1917 he was transferred to the 477th HS Employment Company, ASC, at North Camp, Ripon. At some point takes a trade proficiency test for the ASC at Grove Park workshops and passes as a Ford light car driver. But on 21.8.17 he deserts from Lee Depot, ASC, Blackheath, London. Confirmed by a three officer court of enquiry which takes evidence from a Serjeant Freeman. This gives his ASC number as M/323059. Letters to Edith Road ask about his whereabouts e.g. 22.12.17. In one reply his mother says at Ripon.

(beaten to it again!_

Alan, if he was 10 months old in 1901 he was born 1900 so would be 14 when the war broke out. Thanks for posting his Army Records, I do have trouble reading the originals.
Lynne.

Back