• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Vera Road, Yardley early 1940's

A friend and workmate Dave Edwards lived in Patrick Rd, we both worked at BSA Tools, Kitts Green and his Father was a Fireman at BSA Tools, he was a very tall man 6ft 3ins or more, after he married Dave lived with his Mom & Dad, his Mom died first and his Dad lived until i think about 10yrs ago, Dave was a Bham City FC supporter, like his Dad, Dave was tall 6ft 3in or more, i don`t know if it helps your enquiry i hope so.

Hello Junie,

My sister in law is Mary Bradley (nee Weston). This photo was of her mother Beatrice and sister Pauline (Who sadly was killed December 1956 in a road traffic accident. She was waiting for a bus at the bottom of the road and was run over by a bus). Mary has another sister Sylvia (born 1942). The family lived in Vera Rd for many years. If you have a message from your friend in Devon, I would be more than happy to pass it on to Mary and Sylvia.

Ann

Last edited by a moderator:
Junie and Len,

As well as the Vera Rd. 'garden bunker' photo, I posted, under the thread 'Wartime Yardley', two photos of the V.E. Day Party in Patrick Rd.

Ann

Ann B

Thank you Ann. I am going to copy for my friend in Devon as she is not on the Internet at the present time. I am not going to give out her name, but if I say she is one of twin girls, your sister-in-law will probably recognise the family. Thank you for the information and the photographs.

ChrisM

Sorry for the delay. Thank you, yes it is the correct thread. By the way, after your amazing rescue, did you see any more of the baby greenfinch?

Lencops

It is a small world, I can see the BSA Tools site from my house, but it is a much reduced factory now. I can remember in the 1950's/1960's when hundreds were employed there.

Junie

P.S. You will have to excuse me replying to all three of you in one, but I am new to taking part in forums.

Hello Junie,

I'll speak to my sister in law tomorrow and say about the twins. In case you are interested there are photos of her father John Weston on the thread Rover Tyseley Hay Hall Rd. 1926, and these are going to be in the Brummagem Magazine in September, along with a couple of photos of my own family.

Ann

Thank you Ann. I have the Brummagem Magazine every month so will look out for the September issue. I also sell the magazines at our monthly meetings.

Junie

Junie,

Sylvia and Mary know who you mean and send their best wishes to her.

Ann

Ann B

Thank you for details and interest. Have spoken to my friend on phone today and she also sends her best wishes to Sylvia and Mary. I will send her a copy of the September 'Brummagem' when it comes out.

My thanks to you and all the other Members of the Forum for being so helpful.

Junie

Junie,

I have sent you a message with contact details for Sylvia and Mary, should your friend in Devon wish to get back in touch with them. Its Mary's address. Mary and Sylvia live 5 mins from each other.

All the best Ann

Ann

I have just found your instant message of the 15th. The answer is 'yes' to the surname.

How do I send an instant message? I do not know what to click on to to get the link!

Junie

Junie,
You have sent me an instant message today and I got that, so you did that right. Do you mean a visitor message, like the one I sent you, that you have just found.
If you want to send either to me, click on Ann B on this thread. You will see a display box that says View Public Profile, under that Send Instant message. If you would prefer something to be confidential use the Instant message. Or if not so private, click on View Public Profile and that will take you to my page. There you will see Visitor Messages, just type in the box under that and then click Post Message.
I hope I have explained that correctly. Give it a try and send me a visitor message.
Did you get the address for Mary that I sent in an instant message?

All the best Ann

Thanks to the Daily Mirror and thanks to you Len for posting them. The joy on one hand and the sadness that so many millions had lost their lives.

Ann

Anderson shelter just installed, the owners have invited a Jerry to share, i thought they were the enemy!!.

Len,

Where was the first photo taken? I don't think it is, but it looks similar to Cockshutt Hill.

Ann

Doesn't matter Len. Just that it was so similar to Cockshutt.

Ann

Does any one from Patrick Rd have info on Margaret & John Parry formerly living there, lost touch since they left about 3yrs ago, possibly to Leicestershire.

Back