• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Vehicle Registration Numbers

wonder if anyone can put year please on the reg plate of the car on the right of this pic...771 AON..just trying to confirm that the year on the pic is correct...

thanks for any help..

nurseryroadredone2.jpg
AON was first issued February 1960

It is not an FB, it is a Model F Series 2. This is an FB: -

I think you will find that's an FC John. The F model had the bulbous ends on the bumper, the FB had a straight bumper as in the photo, the FC was completely redesigned, I had, bought and sold all of those models at the time..........but I might be mis-remembering.

The F went through two iterations following the original 1957 introduction, I had one of those original ones, 3908E, supplied new, but not to me, by Attwoods of Stafford. There was a mini redesign, tidying it up a bit, and getting rid of the swage in the back doors and the exhaust through the back bumper, and a more major rework of the sheet metal for the last year or so, with deeper windows, but still called Series F.

FB is in my picture above, FC was also called Victor 101, FD was the first of the ohc engined Victors with the coke bottle shape, and FE/VX also dubbed the transcontinental was the last Victor of all.

My next Vauxhall was an Astra LXI Estate, followed by a Turbodiesel Cavalier.

Last edited:
I've always thought that personal plates are the ultimate vanity. :)
I agree with you which is why since 2013, when I change my car I also show my vanity by buying the same letters different year plate currently JD68RGD, my wifes initials she only has two and mine. Vanity, but I like it.

Bob

It is not an FB, it is a Model F Series 2. This is an FB: -

John, it looks very much like an Opel, wonder why :cool:

I don't know, the real “Opelisation” of the Vauxhall range was somewhat later, starting with the HA Viva of 1963 and the FD Victor of 1967. Both firms were part of GM, at least the FB Victor didn’t look like a shrunken Chevrolet.

I don't know, the real “Opelisation” of the Vauxhall range was somewhat later, starting with the HA Viva of 1963 and the FD Victor of 1967. Both firms were part of GM, at least the FB Victor didn’t look like a shrunken Chevrolet.
Most likely but just as with Ford, Toyota, Nissan, Honda et al many design standards were/are controlled. There are different names on each badge.

ROD was issued in Devon. ROD 90 is currently on a white Mercedes Benz, so someone cashed in on its value!

thanks Lloyd nice to know its still around, sold it to the managing director of "Caffyns", Nuffield motors group, in Brighton in 1974. Regards Paul

Back