• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Vauxhall Road

Just noticed a newspaper notice of the diamond wedding anniversary of my great grandparents (Simmonds of Vauxhall Road) in the Birmingham Daily Gazette 28 Aug 1933.

If someone could post a copy of the notice it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Thank you, pictures as well! Very much appreciated.

I like how they called him formerly a groom, which he probably was in the 1870s but a gas stoker/labourer for 60 years afterwards.

And eventually there were at least 120 great grandchildren.

Last edited:
hi mws mikejee was telling me that if the archives used grayscale for their scans the photos would be much better...when i can get to the library i will see if they have the birmingham gazette newspapers if so i should hopefully get a better copy for you..should be easy enough as we have the exact date of the article

lyn

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Thank you Lyn, that is very kind of you. Very much appreciated.
its no trouble...cant say yet exactly when i will get to the library but hopefully it wont be too long..i have a few things i need to look up myself but i have noted the details of your snippet and will be in touch asap

lyn

• Appreciate
Just noticed a newspaper notice of the diamond wedding anniversary of my great grandparents (Simmonds of Vauxhall Road) in the Birmingham Daily Gazette 28 Aug 1933.

If someone could post a copy of the notice it would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Hello there,
What an amazing coincidence. I was looking for any info on Vauxhall Rd and came a

Hello there,
What an amazing coincidence.
I was looking for any info on Vauxhall Rd and came across that diamond wedding anniversary cutting.
James and Mary were my dad's great grandparents. His grandma was their daugther, Annie. Do you have any other pîcs?

Thank you, pictures as well! Very much appreciated.

I like how they called him formerly a groom, which he probably was in the 1870s but a gas stoker/labourer for 60 years afterwards.

And eventually there were at least 120 great grandchildren.
Hello there,
I feel like I'm hassling you and my messages keep getting sent without being finished (I'll try and calm down), but if you have anything on James and Mary's daughter Annie (my dad's grandma) that would be brilliant.

Whilst looking at something else the houses on Vauxhall Grove from 1889 caught my eye. They look much larger than those on surrounding roads (especially the one on the corner) and a little out of place. Does anyone know anything about them? Thanks.

0 - Vauxhall Grove.jpg

Whilst looking at something else the houses on Vauxhall Grove from 1889 caught my eye. They look much larger than those on surrounding roads (especially the one on the corner) and a little out of place. Does anyone know anything about them? Thanks.

View attachment 180213
According to the 1950s map, the house on the corner was no 23, and in the 1950s was the presbytery to the St Vincent de Paul church. Probably not the same building. In 1884 it was Grove House, occupied by Edwin Thomas Griffiths, surgeon. Some of the other houses were occupied by a photographer, a printer, and commision agent and a potato salesman. Griffiths was a councillor and magistrate

• Appreciate
Back