• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Various street pics

Re-post 348 wasn't Greeners gun factory in St Mary's Row - Loveday Street not Bath Row?
Yes, on the corner of St Mary's Row - Loveday Street. I've inserted a Google Earth photo to show the place today (so many lovely buildings now gone forever). Even though it's impossible to get the same perspective today, I noticed that the Bull's chimney still lines up with the original photo.
Greenery Gun Factory, Bath Row Now & Tthen.jpg

So pleased you've put the Bull in this shot Banjo. I have terrible trouble trying to work out where all these old building once stood. I can see Victoria Hall in the background as well.

I can remember standing behind that coat of arms in Greeners before it was demolished

This was the house owned by the two Doctors Quinet of Solihull. It was still a family house in 1976 when I married Claire Aldous, she was Dr Quinet granddaughter and lived at 574 Warwick Road. Both doctors died and I guess house was then sold. One of them had a car with registration DOC1. I think Solihull Hospital would know more ?.

This was the house owned by the two Doctors Quinet of Solihull. It was still a family house in 1976 when I married Claire Aldous, she was Dr Quinet granddaughter and lived at 574 Warwick Road. Both doctors died and I guess house was then sold. One of them had a car with registration DOC1. I think Solihull Hospital would know more ?.
I assume you are referring to the photo in post #340 showing Quintet House

I assume you are referring to the photo in post #340 showing Quintet House
yes that right, it was Dr Paul Quinet who first lived there with his wife and daughter who became my mother in law. Quinet family both died in approx 1980 when the house was sold. It was very old fashioned inside with a lovely garden from what I remember back then.

I remember Dr Doris as she had a lot to do with Girl Guides in Solihull.
She came to the unit I was in when her grand daughter (?) Janet was enrolled - I seem to recall.

Small world yes Dr Doris and Dr Paul Quinet. Their daughter was married to Victor Aldous who owned a jewellery shop in Stratford. Last I heard the family sold up and moved to Looe in Cornwall but I was divorced from Dr Quinet grand daughter in 1982.

George Hull Ltd was a drysalter, one of the last I can remember in Birmingham. They sold all sorts of chemicals, glue, dye, varnish and French polish etc.

In the early eighties their shop on the corner of Thorp Street has around half a dozen staff in the shop. Always very busy. I still have a bottle of white oil that I bought from them

I worked for G.W. Stokes in Bow St across Bristol St from 1961, we used to have all our varnish, turps, and graining tools etc from Geo Hulls.
We also used to maintain the place, and I spent many hours in there doing various things.
All the staff were ancient and called themselves by nicknames and wore brown coats, many had spent their working life there and some looked over 80, I remember one was called Major. At the back was Dickensian with bubbling vats where various varnishes and paints etc were mixed. If you wanted blackboard paint for e.g. then it would have been made at the rear where there were huge drums of different chemicals, Methylated spirits in vast amounts, shelves of all sizes of bright shiny tin cans and lids. They also had some kind of weird label printing gadget

All the upper floors were chock full of stuff going back to Victorian times. It must have been an Aladdin's cave when it closed and stuff was sold off.

Last edited:
I think one of the staff set up a shop in Freeth Street called Jackson’s Janitorial Service. He seems to have a lot of the Geo Hull stuff

Back