• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Various street pics

Yes, I'm sure you're right - I remember that shop as I got my Brownie uniform from there.
Guide Shop was in Ryder Street at the top end of Corporation Street when I knew it. Usually tents in the window. I think it sold scout uniforms as well until Scout Shop opened.

The photo of Bradford St is at least 1989 Stitcher. Look at the West mids bus registration A was 1989/1990. Private bus company with a 1972/1973 plate and 1980 cars parked up including VW Golf.
Might be a lot newer than 1989 looking at the state of the West Mids bus.

Hello Elmdon Boy, I have just retrieved the picture from the waste bin and you are so right, it does say 1989.

The red Bristol VRT bus DKH 929L belonged to Smiths of Tysoe, near Alcester. They acquired it from East Yorkshire Motor Services (929) in March 1983 and scrapped it in June 1990. That does suggest th e date of 1989 as pretty reliable.

You don't throw your pictures in waste bin do you Stitcher!
Hello Elmdon Boy, my son has most of them, Motorman Mike has all the bus pics and a friend in Hay mills has anything to do with aircraft. The one in question was a copy I had been trying to clean up a little.

Looks like a very rare now Ford Classic, and not that many at the time, rounding the corner and going down the hill of the Coventry Road. Date around very early 60s at a guess.

Is there still a Green in Erdington? Or has it gone and if so when? It reminds me of Paddington railway station which has (or maybe is now had, paste tense) an area called The Lawn. The original grass Lawn soon disappeared as the railway expanded. :D

Re post #309. Must have been about 1964 as the board bottom left is announcing the opening of the Bull Ring Market. The building bottom right is interesting. Marked "June Dairy". Any ideas what this was ? Looks almost next to St Martin's. Was it a temporary/mock structure ? Viv.

PS shall copy the post to the Digbeth thread. Interesting photo. Thanks Stitcher.

Re post #309. Must have been about 1964 as the board bottom left is announcing the opening of the Bull Ring Market. The building bottom right is interesting. Marked "June Dairy". Any ideas what this was ? Looks almost next to St Martin's. Was it a temporary/mock structure ? Viv.

PS shall copy the post to the Digbeth thread. Interesting photo. Thanks Stitcher.

Hello Vivienne, I have had some of these pictures for a number of years dating back to when I was a tourist guide. When a pic took my fancy I would save it without much care about some of the details. Years later as I look through my reams of paper scraps I find the photo but do not remember what the details were or why I saved it. Incidentally, I was a guide for Stratford on Avon, Warwick and Kenilworth Castle.

Bliley Stitched you have lived a varied life. The weird thing I must have been at or about the same place as you at some time.
It's a bit of a worry !
Cheers Tim

Bliley Stitched you have lived a varied life. The weird thing I must have been at or about the same place as you at some time.
It's a bit of a worry !
Cheers Tim

hello Tim, I took a course and passed the test to become a tourist guide when I decided to become a Birmingham Hackney Carriage driver. I assumed it may help to earn money by reducing the time spent waiting on ranks or putting up with drunks.
It paid off and I was very happy doing it.

Post 332 is, I believe Hardings Bakery. There are many references on the Forum to Hardings in quite a few threads.
13132-cc91c140ff8418818ae09f681195ee9c.jpg

I think the photographer is standing just up from Great Charles Street, looking towards Colmore Row. Cornwall Street on the left, followed by Edmund Street

Back