• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Various street pics

Hi,I think the Hay Hall Road pic is wrongly labled.Rover Works,Hay Hall Road was in Tysley,at least it was when I was working there.

Hi Lyn
yes it would be nice to know where it was. It is a shame but a lot of people do not think
to put any details on the back of the photo.

Stars[/QUOte

could be anywhere couldnt it stars...no clues that i can see other than its on a corner lol..

its a pleasure florence and thanks from me to everyone who is posting back on this thread and bringing it back to life for us all..

lyn

Nice photo Stars but I have a feeling that it is Stockfield Road in the Acocks Green area and not Stockland Road in Erdington.

When it was originally posted it was labelled Stockfield Road, south yardley 1928

When it was originally posted it was labelled Stockfield Road, south yardley 1928

Yes, as soon as I saw the picture I thought "that's Stockfield Exchange", it was a very interesting second hand shop in Stockfield Rd in the 1970's. You never quite knew what you might find inside. If you look on the shop on the far left it seems to say "Stockfield Rd Stores" on the window.

It was closed and boarded-up around 1980 I think, and the site was levelled something like 1990.

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul
They did'nt call the shop (Pops) did they. An old chap used to run it. I might be thinking of another shop i am not sure.

stars

Viv, just trying to get my bearings on #54...l had an aunt and uncle who lived on college road in the 40s and l don't remember a entrance to witton cemetry opposite , the wall l remember but don't recall if it was witton cemetry ???maybe someone can put me straight......Brenda

Looking at the photo, I recognised it immediately as seen during visits in the 1940's/1950's to my Nan's who lived in Broomhill Rd now demolished. It is the Smallpox Isolation Hospital (it was actually named Witton Isolation Hospital) and British Pathe filmed it when it was deliberately burnt down because of the risk of Smallpox infection. It was on the College Rd below the Mayfair Cinema just past Weycroft Rd. Looking on Streetview, a housing estate has been built on the site.
oldmohawk
https://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=44375

Oldmohawk, thank you for verifying my memory of college road...l remember when we visited my aunt and uncle we got a bus to the top of college road and walk bown to their house which was only a few doors down from the corner, also you jogged my memory it was the isolation hospital with the big wall around it ..you've given me a lift as l thought l'm really getting confused, or l'm loosing it at my age the gray matter can let one down,....nice to know my memeory is'nt to bad after all...Brenda

img027.jpg

I did not know what thread to put this on and I imagine this one is as good as any
Aston Cross in 1914 or thereabouts.

img507.jpgI think we have all seen this one before.
The Old Toll Gate at Villa Road and Hampstead Road.1897.

College Road 1938 taken from Pery common library . The Crossways at the forefront.
collegerd1938-1.jpg

All the houses must have recently been built in Topsy's Perry Common photo. The grand building directly ahead in the far the distance is puzzling me. Does anyone know what it is? Viv.

Viv. It's New Oscott RC College. See all the pictures and recent info on the Kingstanding thread.

Thanks Rob. As I said on the other thread, after countless visits to Perry Common library I've never ever noticed the College. Perhaps when you're at street level, it can't be seen. Viv.

#post 63, witton road, still the same today, just differnt shop fronts, many thanks for all the pictures. sidwho

What's the name of the pub in No 137, just on the LHS of the photo I must say the whole area look's idyllic to to-days nightmare of a country.
paul

That's The Crossways, no longer a pub. It was supposed to be turned into high-class apartments but I don't think this happened. What it is now I haven't a clue. Don't forget that that part of Perry Common and Kingstanding was developed before the war to re-house families from the slum areas, and everything was quite new when that photo was taken. A lot of what was built then has been demolished in recent years, and new housing built.

Big Gee

A good friend of mine moved with his family to the Perry Common/Warren Farm area in the 1950's. It was very much better than where they used to live, in Newtown. Unfortunately their new house, dating from just before the war, was jerry-built down to a price rather than up to a standard. I remember going there and his dad complaining that he couldn't get paper to stick to the walls because of the damp. They moved out again fairly quickly. The house and its entire street was demolished maybe 3 or 4 years ago, and new properties built which, I would hope, are a darn sight better. If it's old, it doesn't necessarily follow that it's good. Otherwise we'd all still be living in 2-up, 2-down back-to-backs.........with outside toilets. Time moves on.

Big Gee

That's true Big Gee. The 1930s house we lived in in Kingstanding was prone to damp. It also had those Critall windows - metal frames - which effectively rotted with the damp. They froze in winter, with those lovely fernscapes on the inside of the windows. It could be warmer outside! Viv.

Back