• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Various street pics

hi old boy...i have a few more to post tomorrow..glad you are enjoying them....

anthea i was only saying to my lads the other day how easy working on the bins is now compered to back in the day...

Beautiful photos Lyn , and those were the days when each make of car looked different from another.

Last edited:
thanks folks...alberta i agree about the cars..years back i was quite good at recognising the different models but i cant tell one from the other these days..

hi ernie..i think i have a few coming up from your neck o the woods....

lyn..

lol dave..life is never black and white...will get some more on over the weekend....

kyn

kingstanding road..

img118.jpg

So glad you've uploaded this photo again Lyn. Transports me right back ... comic fron the newsagents to the left, pick up some Bywaters sausage/pies etc from the shop with the striped awning, stop off at the hardware shop a little further along from Bywaters (just for a nose around) And I had one of those scooters with the chunky tyres. A snapshot from my childhood. Many thanks. Viv.

viv i only live 2 mins from those shops...paper shop and hardware shop still there...butchers went a few years back im afraid...glad it brings back happy memories for you though...

lyn x

viv i only live 2 mins from those shops...paper shop and hardware shop still there...butchers went a few years back im afraid...glad it brings back happy memories for you though...

lyn x

In my best Victor Meldrew voice "I don't believe it!" Fantastic that the hardware shop is still there .. loved that place, full of wonderful, interestng bits and bobs. In the '60s it had red partitions dividing the pavement area from the next door shop and they'd have masses of stuff on display between those partitions. When I say 'hardware' that covered not just DIY stuff but all sorts of kitchen pans, crockery, household items, ornaments .... endless list of things. How did they squeeze all that stock into that one shop?! And the paper shop, well spent a few bob in there. Used to have comics and magazines hanging from a string line above the counters from the front of the shop to the back. Those were the days .... Viv.

great pic of hockley st and smith st topsy...i know thats one of mine as you can see the line down it where i had to join up to scan it lol..

lyn

In my best Victor Meldrew voice "I don't believe it!" Fantastic that the hardware shop is still there .. loved that place, full of wonderful, interestng bits and bobs. In the '60s it had red partitions dividing the pavement area from the next door shop and they'd have masses of stuff on display between those petitions. When I say 'hardware' that covered not just DIY stuff but all sorts of kitchen pans, crockery, household items, ornaments .... endless list of things. How did they squeeze all that stock into that one shop?! And the paper shop, well spent a few bob in there. Used to have comics and magazines hanging from a string line above the counters from the front of the shop to the back. Those were the days .... Viv.

viv the partitions are still there and the hardware shops sells just about everything just as you said...if you like i will try and take a pic of the same spot on monday for you..or as near as i can do....

lyn

so pleased that you did topsy as owing to lapses of concentration there are some that i cant find now....

lyn

viv the partitions are still there and the hardware shops sells just about everything just as you said...if you like i will try and take a pic of the same spot on monday for you..or as near as i can do....

lyn

Wow Lyn, that would be fantastic! How very thoughtful. I spent a lot of time around tnis spot in the 1960s, travelling to school, catching the #28 bus down to Short Heath. Used to catch the bus outside Lathams on the corner, just round the corner and out of shot from the newsagents. Once remember racing for the bus as it pulled away from the bus stop. It was pouring with rain, so I hoofed it, jumped onto the platform as it was moving away, complete with umbrella still up. Tried everything to get that brolly down but would it give? No. So me and the conductor (remember those?) spent the rest of my journey wrestling with the umbrella, getting all mixed up with passengers getting on and off. And the conductor getting more and more annoyed. Just like a Norman Wisdon film! He was very glad when I finally got off, still with brolly up... And then there was the time I fell down the stairs of the bus, from top to bottom, but we won't go into details ..... yes the photo conjured up so many memories. Viv.

Could have. One set of cousins moved from the area to Telford in the fifties; another set lived in Thornbridge Avenue until the sixties but I still have a sister-in-law and a cousin living in Dyas Avenue

Michael, if memory serves I think both Dyas Ave and Thornbridge are more towards Perry Barr. Dyas Road, however, starts in Kingstanding at the junction of Kstanding Rd and goes over towards Great Barr. Always thought it odd that Dyas Av is not close to Dyas Rd. Viv.

Thanks so much Lynn for posting all these lovely photos, I love black and white pics too! Cheers Barb

Image17.jpg
College Rd Kingstanding.

Been trying to pinpoint this view on streetview, and if I have this right, I think the shot is taken along the stretch of College Rd between the junction with Epwell Rd and Crossway Lane. Looking towards Perry Barr. If that's the right location, it's hardly changed at all. A miracle! Viv.

Viv, No it hasn,t changed much at all, on the left where the car is is the entrance to the Witton Cemetery which is also still there.

Hi Lyn,
Thanks for posting the old photos especially #1 and #6 (definitely my neck of the woods). I didn't recognise where the shops in #1 were at first, then I recognised the little bit of the last building on the right which is Lloyds Bank on the corner of Aston Road and Aston Brook Street. The chemist on the left on #6 is on the corner of Hubert Street. The next shop was a newsagent and then a barbers shop where I used to go and sit on a plank across the seat to get my short back and sides when ?I was a lad and in later years as a teenager, my Boston Square (without the plank!!). Perhaps our good friend Don Clive can add to this post. He used to live nearby in Aston Brook Street. With these 2 photos I have a group relating to this junction on Aston Road. I will post them together if I can. Watch this space!!

Viv, just trying to get my bearings on #54...l had an aunt and uncle who lived on college road in the 40s and l don't remember a entrance to witton cemetry opposite , the wall l remember but don't recall if it was witton cemetry ???maybe someone can put me straight......Brenda

hi ya dave....looking forward to seeing your pics...
i will be adding some more to this thread soon..
lyn

Back