• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Various street pics

A bit more research led me to this photo and info.

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-22_12-57-24.png
    upload_2017-12-22_12-57-24.png
    261.8 KB · Views: 66
I thought this was at the junction with Warwick Road. Lode Lane being the road heading into the distance and the pub being what is now O'Neills (formerly the Barley Mow). The white house on the right is Quinet House.

As can be seen from this map Lode Lane once met Popular Road and The Barley Mow at it's junction with Warwick Road. When the new road was cut through that end of Lode Lane was converted to a cul de sac and used for parking.

lode lane.PNG

Last edited:
It is now open again and used only for the buses which turn down it from Lode Lane and then head down Poplar Road.

Janice

I pass this junction at least twice a week and have never noticed that it is open to buses, I'm often held up at those traffic lights and I have never noticed a bus crossing. It shows just how much notice I take of the traffic around me other than registering that it's there, I suppose one would have to hit me side on before I noticed it.

Janice

I pass this junction at least twice a week and have never noticed that it is open to buses, I'm often held up at those traffic lights and I have never noticed a bus crossing. It shows just how much notice I take of the traffic around me other than registering that it's there, I suppose one would have to hit me side on before I noticed it.
Phil - I suppose I noticed as I pass the other end which is no longer a cul-de-sac several times a week to and from my Dad's in Loders Lane.

Greenery Gun Factory, Bath Row Birmingham.png
Greener Gun Factory. Bath Row Birmingham.

Last edited by a moderator:
Small Brook Quensway 1951.png
(Edit. Smallbrook Street') 1951

Last edited by a moderator:
Paid a visit to Erdington Library just before Christmas and remembered to take a picture of the green. The fountain has now gone (when did that happen) and these figures have appeared since I last looked. I wonder if they're just decorations or permanent. I shall reserve comment but welcome your thoughts!

Attachments

• WP_20171221_11_24_25_Pro.jpg
    WP_20171221_11_24_25_Pro.jpg
    761.2 KB · Views: 67
Tackey, more suitable for a kids play area. Just get some old junk tyres and see what you can do with it. Cheap and nasty.

New Meeting Street from Moor Street towards High Street Birmingham in 1963.

b6748e9727a528d1b6d1e92258e3170d.jpg

Is that City Centre House in Union Street (part of the Big Top) being constructed in the background - it would be about that time I think?

Post 350, by Stitcher has a lot of interest.
George Hull seems to also be in Smallbrook Street (as well as Hurst Street).
s-l64.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

George Hull Ltd was a drysalter, one of the last I can remember in Birmingham. They sold all sorts of chemicals, glue, dye, varnish and French polish etc.

In the early eights their shop on the corner of Thorp Street has around half a dozen staff in the shop. Always very busy. I still have a bottle of white oil that I bought from them

Notable in the invoice is the credit of 8/- (eight shillings) for empties. I wonder what the empties had originally contained? Possibly, from the list Morturn describes, it could be dyes or chemicals. Glue, varnish and maybe french polish might be more difficult to remove in order to render the 'empties' usable again.

Re-post 348 wasn't Greeners gun factory in St Mary's Row - Loveday Street not Bath Row?

Last edited:
Hi to all
A few mixed ones to ponder over.

Image4_Coventry_Rd_Small_Heath.jpg

Image3_Highgate_Rd.jpg

Image2_Belgrave_Rd.jpg

Image1_The_Bristol_Rd_ABC_Cinerama.jpg

I don't know if this is an older photo of the same church lyn, as the one you posted

Image5_St_Saviour_s_Church.jpg

Regards Stars

Stars I remember the old Bristol cinema, I also remember that murder living in William Street at the time I remember the cops doing house to hose inquiries and my brother in law being interviewed at the time as was everyone else in the street

Back