• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Various street pics

I do not see any tram lines, although there are marks made by carts, in Villa Road (Post 279) nor any overhead. This suggests date prior to 1913 when the corporation took over operations when the leases to erstwhile companies lapsed. Trams to Lozells Road commenced in 1885 but were not extended to Villa Road until 1912/13. Noticeable in older photos is the tall lamp standards. They existed with the decorative brackets for a good number of years it seems. I wonder if the are still there? Maybe they are just a memory now?

This postcard of Five Ways franked in September 1905 is of very similar vintage to that in #255 (November 1906). It has however been taken in the opposite direction to #255 and therefore I assume it must be taken from Broad Street looking towards the Hagley Road. Dave.
Scan_20171114 (2).jpg

Albion Street in The Jewellery Quarter.jpg
I have no information with this photo other than it is Albion Street in the Jewellery Quarter.

Nice to be able to say it's still there Stitcher, corner of Frederick Street and Albion Street. Viv.

image.jpeg

Hi. Remember going with my parents to buy my Boy Scout uniform from the scout shop in Hill Street..about the time the photo was taken..1960s

Hi I dont think thats Dale End is that Hill Street in the distance?
Hello robroy, as always I am doing several things at once, sorting through a lot of papers as well as posting on the forum. I have checked and the text with the photo definitely states Dale End but with you having drawn my attention to it I can also see it is wrong. I also think it is looking towards Hill Street with the Crown pub to the right.

Maybe the confusion arises with the photos nomenclature due to there having been a Scout shop in Dale End prior to Hill Street. The Dale End one was where I obtained cub and later scout kit.
There is also a suggestion that the scout shop was at Corporation Street/Steelhouse Lane junction which, if the case, must be between the Dale End shop and Hill Street one in time.

I remember posting this photo a long time ago but I have posted it again because it reminds me how peaceful life was as a driver before it all went crazy.Bradford Street.jpg
Bradford Street.

There was a scout shop at the end of Corporation St by its junction with Steelhouse Lane, but on the opposite side of Corporation St to this junction. It was at the junction of another Road which I think has disappeared under the development of Lancaster Circus and Queensway. Does this make sense.
I remember my Mum taking me there for my cubs uniform in 1958, only for me to stop going only a few weeks later.
I bet she was pleased!

That's the shop I remember Elmdon Boy. I remember passing it on the #33 bus coming into town. The shop was also a Girl Guide shop. Used to sell all the paraphernalia, including camping equipment. I remember window displays of tents. It was, I think, a red brick gothic building, although by the 1950s/60s it was very dirty brickwork. Viv.

That's the shop I remember Elmdon Boy. I remember passing it on the #33 bus coming into town. The shop was also a Girl Guide shop. Used to sell all the paraphernalia, including camping equipment. I remember window displays of tents. It was, I think, a red brick gothic building, although by the 1950s/60s it was very dirty brickwork. Viv.

Yes, I'm sure you're right - I remember that shop as I got my Brownie uniform from there.

Back