• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Various brum pubs

Lyn

The Bulls Head at Stechford has been gone a good while now.

Attachments

• bulls head (2).JPG
    bulls head (2).JPG
    235.8 KB · Views: 50
"Erdington Arms", known as the "Muckman" due to the refuse collectors taking a break there.
Drank there a few times when living on Gravelly Hill.

Does any remember the little pub in Clifton Road Balsall Heath between Moseley Road and the railway bridge. My aunt and uncle lived at number 50, right next to the bridge and the alley to Lime Grove and I passed it hundreds of times. My memory is that it was called the Prince of Wales but I think there was another pub by that name in Clifton Road.

BobJ

The four pubs on Clifton Rd were The Prince of Wales (the one you mention) Just past the Imperial Cinema, The Railway on the corner of Malvern St, the Gladstone on the corner of White St and the Clifton at Ladypool Rd. All of them were on the same side of the road and I'm pretty sure they are all closed now.

BobJ

The four pubs on Clifton Rd were The Prince of Wales (the one you mention) Just past the Imperial Cinema, The Railway on the corner of Malvern St, the Gladstone on the corner of White St and the Clifton at Ladypool Rd. All of them were on the same side of the road and I'm pretty sure they are all closed now.

thanks Phil,
this was bugging me, for no good reason, but I am now sorted
regards
Bob

This was the last remnants of the Beeches pub Northfield,one of my favourite pubs in the late 60's, gaffer was Charlie Mason.Don't know who took the photo,so cannot give credit.13434929_10153514378801436_6028891245149718089_n.jpg

I had this sent to me, new inns Moseley Rd...

Attachments

• new inns moseley rd.jpg
    new inns moseley rd.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 32
I had this sent to me, new inns Moseley Rd...

I remember the New Inns Moseley Road/Edward Road (post 32) as the place we would go at about 10 pm after a shift as a pump attendant at St Pauls Garage in about 1966/67. One memorable night while having a quick pint I saw the doors to the bar being bolted shut as a “Wild West” fight started with tables, chairs and bottles flying everywhere, we were not involved and managed to get out alive somehow. It turned out to be some sort of revenge attack on police officers from Edward Road who had obviously upset some people quite badly, it was in the papers and several people ended up in hospital.

Interesting also to see The Royal Mint in (post 18), my uncle and aunt ran this pub in the 50’s. They were Tom and Amy Tomlinson, they also ran The Angel Stratford Road and The Board Inn in the Bullring. I remember visiting them all as a small kid and remember the smell of stale beer and cigarettes that has now disappeared from pubs.

nice photo carolina...new pub to me....just trying to place exactly where it was cant make out the name of the road/st on the corner

lyn

lyn

I note that the picture is titled on the forum as Board Inn Digbeth. There was a Board Inn digbeth, but not immediately post WW2. when this photo is obviously from. The position of the Dewhursts confirms it was High St

Hi all. Are all the pubs on this thread now gone ? If so maybe we could show this in the title as it would be useful to people searching. Thanks. Viv.

post 28 and 29 are still there viv...i was in the lamp tavern not so long ago..

lyn

Back