• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Various brum pubs

I had this sent to me, new inns Moseley Rd...

Attachments

• new inns moseley rd.jpg
    new inns moseley rd.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 32
I had this sent to me, new inns Moseley Rd...

I remember the New Inns Moseley Road/Edward Road (post 32) as the place we would go at about 10 pm after a shift as a pump attendant at St Pauls Garage in about 1966/67. One memorable night while having a quick pint I saw the doors to the bar being bolted shut as a “Wild West” fight started with tables, chairs and bottles flying everywhere, we were not involved and managed to get out alive somehow. It turned out to be some sort of revenge attack on police officers from Edward Road who had obviously upset some people quite badly, it was in the papers and several people ended up in hospital.

Interesting also to see The Royal Mint in (post 18), my uncle and aunt ran this pub in the 50’s. They were Tom and Amy Tomlinson, they also ran The Angel Stratford Road and The Board Inn in the Bullring. I remember visiting them all as a small kid and remember the smell of stale beer and cigarettes that has now disappeared from pubs.

nice photo carolina...new pub to me....just trying to place exactly where it was cant make out the name of the road/st on the corner

lyn

lyn

I note that the picture is titled on the forum as Board Inn Digbeth. There was a Board Inn digbeth, but not immediately post WW2. when this photo is obviously from. The position of the Dewhursts confirms it was High St

Hi all. Are all the pubs on this thread now gone ? If so maybe we could show this in the title as it would be useful to people searching. Thanks. Viv.

post 28 and 29 are still there viv...i was in the lamp tavern not so long ago..

lyn

..the atlas..garrison lane/cattel st
Hi A great picture of the Atlas. My grandad lived next door on Garrison Lane. There was a pair of high wooden gates at the back of the pub and then an entrance into the yard next to the house. It was two up two down plus a tiny kitchen at the back. The loo was out side in the yard and the only water was a cold tap in the kitchen. This was for a family of 9. The three boys slept downstairs in the front room with the four girls upstairs in one room and my grandparents in the other. My mother went to Tilton Road school.

Anyone know if the New Inns Moseley is still standing? Viv.

Hi Viv

I realise this answer is a little late, but I assume you mean the New Inns on the junction of Mosley Road and Edward Road, which is Actually Balsall Heath. Once managed by ex Birmingham Councilor, before she moved to the Dolphin in Acocks Green. The building is still there viv but is now a restaurant, see attached images.Balsall Heath New Inns Balsall Jeath Moseley Rd.jpgnew inns.JPG

cross guns..washwood heath...1958
Really interested to see the photo of the Cross Guns, because next door you can see the Stableford & Bridgewater garage. My grandfather started the garage and eventully sold out because of health issues, long before I was born. My aunt and uncle lived in the flat above the business and I used to visit them, first by trolley from the Beaufort terminus and then by bus.

Regards
Dave Hobbs
bluenose52

Last edited by a moderator:
Back