• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Van Allen clothes shops

rowan

Born a Brummie
I am reading a book.a novel. and it mentions the clothes shop Van Allen.

This bought back memories of buying a dress from there BUT where was

the shops situated?

Along with C&A Modes it has long gone.........but do you girls remember it?

I am reading a book.a novel. and it mentions the clothes shop Van Allen.

This bought back memories of buying a dress from there BUT where was

the shops situated?

Along with C&A Modes it has long gone.........but do you girls remember it?

Sorry this thread was a long time ago, but only just joined. I worked at Eve Browns, a ladies clothes shop, situated in Bull Street, I remember Van Allen shop being owned by the same company, I used to collect alterations from there, it was situated round the corner from Eve Browns, somewhere by where M&S is now but can't quite remember the precise spot. They also owned another shop along that road but can't recall the name. Something like Hiltons.
Deborah

There used to be a Van Allen on the Parade in Sutton Coldfield in the late 1960s ,the manageress was a Mrs Mundy.

• Appreciate
Reactions: cba
I remember Van Allen - I used to go in there but I can't place exactly where it was. I also remember Chelsea Girl and Richards. There was also a shop on the High St in the 70's (where M&S is)called something like 2001. It was all moulded white walls (outside) and looked a bit 'space agey'. Does anyone else remember this?
Polly

In 1972:
Van Allan Ltd, outfitters, 24 New st 2 (021-643 3850) & 400/403 Bull Ring Centre. No 24 was between Boots and Union passage
mike​

I thought Van Allen was on New Street but I wasn't sure. Maybe it became Richards later on because I think Richards was somewhere about there in the 80's.
Polly

In 1972 Van Allen's was 24 while Richards was 18. There is no other firm listed between them, so they might have been next door
Mike

So they were both trading at the same time. it's funny how one persons post can bring memories back - I can see myself walking along New Street in the 70's & 80's as I type!

I remember Van Allen - I used to go in there but I can't place exactly where it was. I also remember Chelsea Girl and Richards. There was also a shop on the High St in the 70's (where M&S is)called something like 2001. It was all moulded white walls (outside) and looked a bit 'space agey'. Does anyone else remember this?
Polly

Yes, I remember 2001 in High Street. I don't think I ever bought anything from there though.
I also remember Van Allen but I wouldn't have remembered where it was exactly. Was there a branch in the Bull Ring as well?

Wasn't there a Van Allen shop in the subway that led from New Street to the Bull Ring , Manzoni Gardens ?
I'm getting older - the mind isn't what it used to be.

Hi Van Allen was on High St next to what used to be Castle Street, the other shop mentioned "2007" was next door. Both can be seen in this photo of the High St taken in 1972.

Phil

CityHighStbyCastleSt1972-1.jpg

Hi Van Allen was on High St next to what used to be Castle Street, the other shop mentioned "2007" was next door. Both can be seen in this photo of the High St taken in 1972.

Phil
What a great picture - 2007 is just how i remember it (even if I did think it was 2001). It was really different to any other shop front that I had ever seen - i think thats why i remember it so well. Thanks for posting that, it's brought back a lot of memories! Where did you manage to find the picture???????
Polly

Hi polly

Glad you liked the photo, its only one of about 40 I have of various parts of the High St through the years, Heres one a little earlier or later than the last one showing more or less the same shot. But Van Allen's was shop was owned by Hilton's then. I think it may have been later. there again I didn't do a lot of my shopping in womens shops.

Phil

CityHighStarCastleSt.jpg

Polly
Chelsea girl was my favourite shop and i remember Van Allen, 2007,had forgot that one until you mentioned it,

Chelsea girl was my favourite shop and i remember Van Allen, 2007,had forgot that one until you mentioned it,
Do you remember when the staff in Chelsea Girl (all girls) sat in cages hanging from the ceiling so they could watch the customers. I used to Love Chelsea Girl clothes - it was very similar to how Miss Selfridges is now - where my daughter loves to shop - I wish I could still fit in their tiny clothes (those were the days!) 2007 was a bit more expensive I think - I could only shop in there if it had a sale on.
Polly

Yes i remember and occasionally they used to do an (original) just one,and i got the just one pure luck,i think i still have that.
I think i only ever browsed in 2007 ,great memories

Hi polly

Glad you liked the photo, its only one of about 40 I have of various parts of the High St through the years, Heres one a little earlier or later than the last one showing more or less the same shot. But Van Allen's was shop was owned by Hilton's then. I think it may have been later. there again I didn't do a lot of my shopping in womens shops.

Phil
Phill, are they photos you took yourself? I think you should start a thread. The two you have already posted are great.
Polly

Polly

Very few of the photos I post are my own, I am just a collector. Referring to the woman, I have often asked myself the same question. The fact is I wouldn't like to even offer a guess other than to say it doesn't look very heavy as she has no difficulty at all in carrying it.

As for a starting a thread on the High St, I'll have a look and see if we have one on the forum. If we have I'll add to it, if not I'll start one.

Phil

Phil, maybe you should start a thread 'what is this woman carrying?', someone might just know - or it might just give us a laugh.
I shall look forward to seeing more of your photos if you post them.
polly

This dress that I am wearing came from Van Allen it was navy blue with white trimming. I felt the bees knees when I wore it on this day trip to Weston with my young sons.

I think I bought it in Cheltenham when I was living there. (cant be sure of that the old grey cells are a little greyer nowadays)

Was the white trim like little flowers by any chance,it looks fab anyway

My sister had one just like that,oh clothes were so nice then

Hi Everyone,
My sister Pat told me about the Van Allan thread,
My first job in the 70's was at Hiltons as a junior in the coat dept, then progressing to the Bridal floor which was a lovely place to work our manageress was Mrs Daly.
Hiltons was taken over by Van Allan, when that happened all the floors were changed, downstairs in the basement we had a boutique called Just Eve, ground floor was coats, first floor was dresses and bridal ,second floor was warehouse ,third floor was the offices and staff room.
The other Van Allan stores were in New St about where Clarkes shoes is now. And on the Bridge link there were two shops almost opposite one another one was a boutique the other was fashion and Bridal. This has bought back some happy memories, Sandra

I remember Van Allans in the Bull Ring. My friends and I would haunt the town every Saturday, with no money just dreaming.

It was a thing we done in our teens window shopping,very enjoyable,every Saturday,and then a plate of chips or a bowl of soup in Woolies that was the cheapest thing you could get.

As a relatively young man I used to run the main office of Van Allan initially in London and then at Enderby in Leicester.
I was at the opening of the Bull Ring Shop and whilst there recall I rugby tackled a shoplifter from another shop as he began to run through the Bull Ring.
The Just Eve Boutiques were added to many of the shops, often where there were basements.
Van Allan took over a number of other store groups and shops. Had about 150 shops throughout the UK.
I married the manageress of the Eastbourne shop and 45 years later we are still together.
Eventually the company was taken over after I had left. I now live in New Zealand.

Back