• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Valerie's Dress Shop, on Park Road

L

libertyx33

Hi,

I'm posting this meassage on behalf of a friend. Her late Nan Mrs F. E. Barrows (known as Edith), used to own the dress shop called Valerie's at no. 38 Park Road, Aston. Next door at no. 36 was a record shop originally owned by Nora Bliss, buit then ran by her daughter Amelia Bedford (nee Bliss). Also there was a hardware store called Troths owned by a Sam and Margery Troth at no 40, which was a hardware shop.

My friend, would like to hear from anyone who remembers those shops and her Nan, to tell her their memories, especially during the 1960's as she is doing a project on Aston.

Also would anyone have any maps especially ariel views of Aston, especially Aston Cross in the 1960's.

Many thanks.

Hi

:) Hello & Welcome Liberty x

If you are local to Birmingham? then i would advise a trip into the Central Library
This contains maps including arial views & copies are purchasable & good value,
While there you could search the Electoral Rolls of 1960,s addresses/names of
your interests then post on this site to attract a wider response for your Friend

Best regards & good luck to Yourself & Friend,, :wink: John Y

we have a Kelly's directory for 1964 (Birmingham & Smethwick) which covers Park Road we can search this for you if required also have you been to the main site as there is information there for you to look at

Back