• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Val Products Sherlock St..

christy

master brummie
hi,forum..trying to find a photo of the White Swan & Val Products..in sherlock st or at the bottom of hurst st..regards..christy.

HI CHRISTY ;
Yes i can recall the white swan pub ;always busy ; but dear old val products a complete nonsence
definately a no - no ; epecialy for me the paint was complete mess
hope some- one will come up trumps for you thou ; best wishes Astonian;;

I remember Val Products, I used to go with Ray, they sold DIY products, he was a great improvisor and would find something cheap he could alter to suit the job in hand. Alan I don't recall him ever buying paint though.

We had a neighbour who called Val Products the "Hardboard and and Cardboard Merchant"!! There was a "Caualty Corner" for broken and bent items, it was all we could afford. I had a lovely worktop for my old unit, the dented part didn't matter as I was just glad to have something new.
There is a thread called "hurst st" (no capitals) with a picture of the Hippodrome, I think Val was the other end though?
rosie.

Heres an old photo of the White Swan, and wasn't VAL Products on the other side of the road at the junction of Bishop St?

Attachments

• City White Swan Hurst St (2).JPG
    City White Swan Hurst St (2).JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 46
I remember Val Products - their stuff wasn't exactly what you'd call up-market. We bought a few items there when we were first married and skint. My dad used to say that a lot of their stuff was held together with will-power, not screws and glue.

I think the original Wing Yip was next door to Val Products, or at least very close.

G

I've just looked in my Kelly's for 1973/4 and it gives "150 & 162/5 Bromsgrove St. B5 6NX, ; warehouse 35/40 Bromsgrove St. & warehouse Inge St. B54SY."
So now I'm confused (doesn't take much!!) Hope it helps to track a photo anyway.
rosie.

HI SYLV;
No you would not have bought paint from them ;it was valspar paints i was thinking of i recall the val on shelock stret or should i say it was inded on bromscrove street later they did in deed sell kitchens and things when i first seen the title of val i emediatly thought of that ghastly paint
which indeed was two seperate companies ; sylv;
sorry for my mistaken in putting it up ; [ silly me ]
have a merry christmas sylv and a happy and healty and prosperous new year for 2013
and that icludes every member on this brilliant forum site and long may it lives ; Astonian

Alan, we all have senior moments, and our memories are from so many years ago it is no surprise we get confused.
Have a Very Happy Christmas, and keep posting.

Back