• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

V E & VJ Day 2020 celebrations

Funny how memory plays tricks, I could not remember VE day at all and certainly did not recall any street party, so I rang my sister who reminded me that there was a party on the green grassed area in front of the new houses on Court Lane, but that we did not go because my mother (who I have mentioned previously was the model for Hyacinth Bucket) felt that as the war was still on and Dad was still in India and all the neighbours were in reserved occupations, etc,etc etc we were not allowed to attend. We did not attend the VJ day one either, but went to my grandmothers in Queens Road (Off Slade Road).

Bob

I was watching a programme the other night (sorry I can't remember which one) and there was a black company of airmen based in Ireland. They were tasked with patrolling the Atlantic well past VE Day as we didn't trust the U Boats not to abide by the surrender. My father wasn't demobbed until January '46 but I would expect he'd find some way to celebrate.

I often hear about the 'forgotten war' in the east and this year I'm determined to mark the occasion on 15th August. Perhaps things will have eased a little then. I'm leaving my bunting and flags nice and handy.

My cousin told me yesterday that my Father played the piano in the road and the bonfire on the night in the middle of the road was the blackout curtains!
rosie.

Another year! 76 years ago today.

Tuesday May 8th 1945 - VE Day. Hence the beer. Taken from the bedroom window of my future brother-in-law's digs in an unknown Birmingham
road, possibly Handsworth/Erdington/nearby areas. He's on the right.

Chris

(Source: family album)

VEday.jpg

Back