• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Using personal messages on Facebook

db84124

Brummophile
Although I've had a Facebook account for six years, this is something I have known about for a question of weeks!
Recently I sent some photographs to a lady via Facebook; she was unaware they had arrived.
When a person sends another person a message via Facebook it goes into the person's Inbox and an email of notification is sent out. But this is only so if the two people are Facebook Friends. If they aren't, the messages go into a "postbox" called "Other". There is no notification for messages received in "Other" postboxes. This means that things can lie there for months, as three acquaintances of mine have found out over the last year by my not having answered their FB messages.
So check your “Other” mailbox, you may have a pleasant surprise, as I did.
If you go to your Facebook page (either your main page or your "Home" page, it doesn't matter which), up at the top on the dark blue band there's the word "facebook" in white lettering. Beside it to the right there's a small icon in an even darker blue of two head-and-shoulders. Beside this icon there are two superimposed rectangles and then a globe. Left click once on the two rectangles; this is your messages page and a window will drop down showing all the messages you've sent and received via Facebook. Right at the top of this window on the left-hand side you'll see the word "Inbox" followed by a number in brackets. To the right of "Inbox" there's the word "Other". When you get messages from your Facebook friends, they automatically go into your Inbox. If two people aren't FB friends, the message will go into the Other postbox. If you right click on the word "Other", another window will open and there you may see a message from an acquaintance of yours. By clicking on it, you'll see what the person wanted to tell you.

Thanks David. This was pointed out a few months ago and I went back to find I had loads of other messages that were not from my face book friends. It is good to know and thanks again. Jean.

This can be a problem with selling or gifting pages as well as groups. As you say David click on messages and check "others"it is more difficult on phones I believe.

Back