• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Usherwood

S

supavillain

I'm begining research into my Usherwood ancestors and have drawn a blank fairly early on. All I really know is that my Grandfather was called Chrstopher and he married my Grandmother, Alice Saunders, some time before 1922. Not much to go on but any information would be great. I'm hoping to do some tracking next week at my local library but I would be grateful for any clues in advance.

Wonder if this is him?

Name:Christopher UsherwoodAge:6 Estimated Birth Year:abt 1885 Relation:Son Father's Name:SamuelMother's Name:BettyGender:MaleWhere born:Birmingham, Warwickshire, EnglandCivil Parish:Birmingham Ecclesiastical parish:St Mark Town:Birmingham County/Island:Warwickshire Country:England

Registration district:Birmingham Sub-registration district:Lady Wood ED, institution, or vessel:25 Neighbors:View others on page Household Members:NameAgeBetty Usherwood29 Christopher Usherwood6 James Usherwood4 Priceilla Usherwood2 Samuel Usherwood31 Samuel Usherwood10

It is possible that this is him - some of the names are family names of my aunts and my nephew so it is a distinct possibility. I'll try to find the family on the census when I go to the local library.

[SIZE=+1]This maybe the birth Ref' for the Christopher that Mrs T found. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Births Mar 1885 [SIZE=-2](>99%)[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Usherwood Christopher Birmingham 6d41

Pom :angel:

Thanks for your help. Found the census entry and am now curious about the address - 2 Back 59, Garbutt Street. Doesn't sound very palatial does it? Any one know anything about this area/ address?

SupaVillan, Holte helper

Hi Supa, Here is your marriage details for your GG,s :)

Christopher Usherwood married Alice P Saunders July/Aug/Sept Quarter 1921 registered Kings Norton, reference is 6d page 292,
This info above is all you need to get Certificate @ B,ham Reg Office (£7)
Welcome m8, Cheers John Y 8)

Thanks for that. I've since got back a little further using census returns but would now like to know if anyone can help with Samuel Usherwood's occupation - listed in 1881 as a 21 year old Railway Foreman with gnw. Does anyone know who or what gnw are? Google is no help so I'm hoping some clever Brummies can help!

Yo Supa V, I think it reads Lnw& he,s a Fireman,,
L N W was London North Western (Railway)
Later became LMSR, London Midlands & Scottish Railway
Cheers John Y

Cheers John. You obviously had access to the original image - I only had a transcript to go on. Makes sense him being a fireman on the railway if he went on to become an engine driver!

Back