• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Use The Backdoor !

Pomgolian

Kiwi Brummie
Use The Backdoor !

Lou sat in the arm chair quietly, as the pleasantly dressed young man, opened draw after draw in all the dressers and cabinets around her home. Filling his two briefcases with all the small valuable items that he came across.
Louisa had shared this home for fifty two years with Bill her husband, but Bill had died eighteen months ago. He just slipped away in the very chair in which she was now sitting.
They had had their ups and downs over the years, however on the whole she would say she had had a happy marriage and a full life. It had been a very sad time when their only son and his family had decided to seek their fortune in Australia. That had been all of twenty years ago. As the years passed they had lost touch she had come to accept it as being part of her life.
The young man going through the draws reminded her a little of her son. The same brown hair and that cheeky dimple on his chin, although her son had been a little taller than this young man who was 5 4-5 may be.
The young man seemed to have finished what he had come to do and was now speaking to her. “Well Mrs. that seems to be the lot. Just give me those rings and I’ll be off and no harm done”. Lou did as she was asked although she really did not want to part with her rings. The rest of the stuff he was quite welcome to take away, but the rings, had meant so much to her, after all she had never taken them off. The engagement ring for fifty four years and the wedding ring for fifty two and they were all she really had left of Bill’s love for her.
As she gave him the rings she spoke for the first time, after she had let him in an hour ago at about 6.00pm. He had pushed himself in the front door telling her she would be ok. “It might be better if you use the backdoor, don’t want nosey ol’ Polly seeing you leave”
As the backdoor slammed shut, Lou heard a bone crunching thud followed by a scream. Lou smiled to herself. Those council chappies never had come and refilled that 6ft deep hole after fixing that gas main, and I bet that young man wishes he had not tied my feet together now. It will take me hours to untie them with my arthritic fingers. As she started to doze from the warmth of her gas central heating her thoughts wandered, it had been the rings that had made up her mind after all she wasn’t normally a cruel person, that snow they promised was just starting to fall.

POM

:) :) Good one ! I also like to write with a twist. Will be brave and put one or two of my pieces on.

There I was diggin' a hole..

Great story and as I work for the Council totally believable!
(Tell the guy down the hole we'll be there Tuesday)

"Love it" I will have to be careful laughing twice before dinner

:angel: Thanx Robert... O0 Oh it's the story your talking about ;)
For a minute I thought it was me :2funny:

Back